Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Store address: 1530 Black Lake Blvd SW, Olympia, WA 98502

Overall Experience 5
Cost 5
Quality of Fish 5
Variety 5
Service 5

This is my second time now going to the Olympia store to have to get one of the larger tanks on the 1/2 price sale. A 75 gallon for $99 is a good deal but the challenge is to try and find them in stock. The Petco website has been improved to be able to buy online and pick up in store but it does not work on the 75g tanks. They make you look up stores on-line and then call around. That is a disappointment with the Petco website, no reflection on this store visit.

The Olympia store just seems better stocked with both products and live fish. Employees are friendly, helpful and actually seem to be happy to be at work and to help you. Overall an awesome visit!

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Good review! And if you go back down to olympia anytime soon, check out petworks in downtown olympia.

mice been completed impressed with their selection and knowledge in the hobby

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Good review! And if you go back down to olympia anytime soon, check out petworks in downtown olympia.

mice been completed impressed with their selection and knowledge in the hobby
Been there, love it. Embarrassed to say my wife and I did a road trip that involved going to 3 different Petworks, in Astoria, Longview and Olympia.

Last edited:

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Been there, love it. Embarrassed to say my wife and I did a road trip that involved going to 3 different Petworks, in Astoria, Longview and Olympia.
Really?!? Doesn’t sound silly at all! Sounds perfect

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Overall Experience 5
Cost 5 (Good price on tank)
Quality of Fish N/A
Variety N/A
Service 5 (See my comments below)

This is a follow up to the purchase of a 75 gallon (2nd one) from Petco Olympia. Im having a hard time really rating the experience. Some was good and bad. But I will relate it in the review.

The Bad: The 75g tank had a crack in the frame. This was not spotted until I was ready to set up the tank on the rack. Calling Petco I found that they had no replacement 75's in stock.

The Good: Customer service was outstanding. Even though it was just past 30 days they took the tank back and offered me the 90 gallon in stock at the 1/2 price sale even though the sale was over. So for $100 more I got the 90g. very friendly, helpful staff and manager.

Here is the pic of the 75 gallons crack in middle of lower frame.
IMG_20200229_132920724.jpg

Here is where the review now has to go to the next steps of bad and good...

The bad: Even with a good inspection at store by myself and a store employee... the 90 also has cracks in frame that were not spotted until I got it home in my garage. I called Sunday night before closing (6:58pm) and no replacement is available, both 75's and 90 out of stock. I left my phone umber and contact info and was told I would be called. I will give them credit that they answered their phone that close to closing (2 min. till) and were friendly.

The good/bad: The store again had good customer service BUT I was expecting a call from them the next day and they did not call me back but I had to call them. I realize they are busy but when a customer issue like this pops up you should call and quickly deal with the situation. I had to call them... I called after 1:30pm on Monday, so they were given sufficient time to contact me. They did have an answer, so they had researched the issue but again disappointing I had to call them first. The answer I got was again nothing in stock but computer showing both coming in on Wed night 3/4/20 delivery (after closing). They said they would hold the 90 coming in for me...

So its now 11:30 on the morning of Thursday and I am waiting to hear something... Hopefully they did get the tank in. Im not making a huge issue because Im at work till 4 and probably will not be able to make it out to Olympia tonight but am curious as to whether they will call me first. This is probably me being petty, but having worked in sales, retail and customer service jobs over the years Ive always made it a priority in these situations to keep the customer informed and not have to make them call me.

Here is the 90 gallon cracking. This is on three upper corners. With the matt black plastic, it really is hard to see these imperfections.
IMG_20200301_185150999.jpg
Sorry for the long of a review but I feel in this case you guys would appreciate seeing how the store ends up handling this.

Will edit with updates.

Edit 3/5/2020: Called store and its the managers day off. Spoke with the assistant manager and the store received two 90 gallon tanks! Hooray right? lol, not my luck. Both have cracked frames! I will have to call back tomorrow after the manager gets in and deals with replacements on her side.
On a 'The good', the assistant store manager was friendly and made sure to look at both tanks while he put me on hold just to make sure. While the situation has been a PIA, Im sure they will make it right.

There really is no way I want a 75g now that I got the taste for a 90! lol

Final edit 3/6/2020 and thoughts: In the end I did settle for the 75. My stand (48”) puts the tank at such a height that the thing is already a pain to clean and I didnt need it any taller.

I went ahead and gave this Petco a 5 all around. The tank issues were beyond their control at the store level. They have some transportation and storage issues for sure and Aqueon is pumping out crap tanks for them, bad combo.

The manager gave me a discount for my trouble and I am happy with it. Thats saying the 75’s on sale were already $100. Wasn’t huge discount but showed they wanted me happy.

All is well and this is one Petco I really do enjoy shopping at!

Edit 3/7/2020 - Nothing to do with store but poor product quality from Aqueon.

The current 75, looks to be 3/8" thick
IMG_20200307_122524003.jpg
The first 75 looks to be 3/16"
IMG_20200307_122631491.jpg
Wow, bad job Aqueon...

Last edited: