Petco: Lakewood

Anthraxx

Overall Experience 5
Service 4
Cost 4
Variety of Fish 4
Quality of Fish 4

I know, I know.. its a petco. but the fish guy (Josh) there is actually quite knowledgeable and will attempt to order in if he doesnt have it. great community section with lots of selection and get this! NO ASSORTED CICHLIDS!!. theres quite a bit of salt water stuff there as well. Check it out if your in the area

Pleco_Party

Overall Experience 5
Service 3
Cost 4
Variety of Fish 5
Quality of Fish 4

I went to this petco about a month ago. This is by far the best petco i have ever been to. Their aquarium section is very very good for a petco. Like antraxx said they have a good amount of salt water fish. If you plan on going to a petco this is the one you should go to.

janky

Overall Experience 5
Service 5
Cost 5
Variety of Fish 4
Quality of Fish 4

I love this Petco. Josh and the short girl (I forget her name) are really awesome. Not to mention Josh knows exactly what he's talking about and will cut awesome deals if he needs to clear stuff out.
When I first started saltwater, this was my go-to and Josh and the short girl were always VERY helpful and honest.
Luke at the Tacoma Petco is awesome too.
Great guys (and gals).

A

Anonymous

Ashley @ the tacoma petco are the best ever
She adopts out the fish for great prices
And just wants the best for animals!

she is by far the best @ petco ever!

KaraWolf

Like the petco but news update Josh transferred stores last week!!! (therefore I didn't get to get my fish...the order was messed up) He's now in a Tacoma one. Loved talking to him the time before though. The new guy seems enthusiastic but he wasn't sure what an Oto was :/

Madness

Staff member
Again everyone, this section is for rating the stores, so lets continue to RATE them and keep comments to a minimum.  Comments, negative or positive are welcome, but we want you to rate your experience as well.  If it means throwing a rating every time you visit, so be it.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Overall Experience 2
Service 2
Cost 4
Variety of Fish 4
Quality of Fish 4

While I love when they do the $1 per gallon sale I do have a beef with the fact they dont keep accessories in stock. No glass top in stock for the 20L/29g. I had to buy it online and then go to Tacoma Mall to pick up, when I live right by the Lakewood store. I rated service low at Lakewood because I had to return said glass top because it did not fit properly and pretty much got an uncaring person who gave me a stupid answer as to why the top didnt fit. They did not even offer a solution. They could have tried to sell me a plastic top with the fluorescent lid, maybe at a slight discount for my trouble. I probably would have bought it with all the problems I was having finding a lid to fit.

I do rate Variety higher because for a big box chain store I have seen lots of interesting fish sold there. Ive seen Rope fish, Lemon Oscars and some other interesting cichlids.

The overall experience however was based on my experience with getting the glass top and poor customer service.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Overall Experience 5
Cost 5
Quality 5
Variety 4
Service 4

I stopped in to use up some Pals rewards so I was able to get some Omega One floating medium cichlid pellets and Fluval Bug Bites for cichlids for pretty cheap. Overall the store was clean and well stocked and all the tanks and fish looked well. One of my better visits to this Petco. Usually the Olympia store is my go to when it comes to Petco.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Overall Experience 5
Cost 5
Quality 5
Variety 5
Service 4

I know in the formal instructions for store reviews it says not to count Petco. Though
they are a chain, they are all definitely different depending on who runs aquatics. That said, Lakewood seems to have always stood out as one of the best. The Olympia store is not bad but Lakewood just gets some interesting stuff at times.

I have been looking for roseline sharks and they did have them but only 3 looked big enough, the others were pretty small. At about $11 a pop my small school will get costly. They also had a couple decent Australian rainbows but those were even more. They also had a nice selection of swordtails, platies, mollies. While not really the best place for a large cichlid collection, they have a nice selection of community fishes.