Parasites?

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
My green/turquoise sev has the filamentious things just behind the right gill plate and one just below the left. I'm not seeing anything on the other fish. I do see occasional flashing but I frequently.
PXL_20210204_190122058.jpg PXL_20210204_185409157.jpg

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I tested my water and other than nitrates being a tad hi everything looks good. I don't adjust water parameters. Whatever comes out of the tap is what they get.
PXL_20210204_192817830.jpg

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
The nitrate assay in this test kit is not very good once NO3 concentrations get above about 40 ppm (unless you have a spectrophotometer to quantitate the readout), so your NO3 levels could be 40 ppm, but they could also be 80 ppm or more. If NO3 levels are that high chronically, that could be a stressor for your Severum. Is this a wild fish? The downside of WC is that they harbor all kinds of exotic parasites, which can cause issues in stressed fishes. I'd start doing some serious water changes and see what happens. Good luck.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
The nitrate assay in this test kit is not very good once NO3 concentrations get above about 40 ppm (unless you have a spectrophotometer to quantitate the readout), so your NO3 levels could be 40 ppm, but they could also be 80 ppm or more. If NO3 levels are that high chronically, that could be a stressor for your Severum. Is this a wild fish? The downside of WC is that they harbor all kinds of exotic parasites, which can cause issues in stressed fishes. I'd start doing some serious water changes and see what happens. Good luck.
No, this one isn't. I have had this fish for over a year (iirc). I'm going to try a meth blue bath and order a gallon jug of paraguard.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Accomplished a 50%ish water change and a 3gal/Meth Blue bath. Dip twice, once at ~20 seconds and once at ~1o seconds as the directions state no more than ~10 seconds. I rinsed the fish off between dips with tank water. I have order prazi and paraguard. Both should arrive tomorrow.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Is this in the 200 gallon? Thats a lot of tank to have to treat... I usually look for a concentrated form of the medication. I had an issue some years ago in my old 210 gallon that required full treatment to treat all the fish. I lowered water levels and found pond concentration products.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Is this in the 200 gallon? Thats a lot of tank to have to treat... I usually look for a concentrated form of the medication. I had an issue some years ago in my old 210 gallon that required full treatment to treat all the fish. I lowered water levels and found pond concentration products.
Yes, unfortunately. The prazi is a pond concentrate.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Did the MB treatment do anything? How is it doing? Are you just leaving it in the big tank to treat?

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I had to move the turquoise sev out of the 220g because the H.N. would not stop chasing with intent to harm. Choco isn't so sure about the arrangement.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
I had to move the turquoise sev out of the 220g because the H.N. would not stop chasing with intent to harm. Choco isn't so sure about the arrangement.
Sorry, I'm having a hard time keeping up with the shorthand. What is a H. N.?

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
The Turquoise sev is healing up. With the move into the 55g I am able to more closely observe and the gill plates are healing. I have also noticed that the upper lip looks injured. The gold and turquoise were lip locking quite a bit so I think the 2 will be better off seperated.