painted a hydro-plane

aaronfeeney

painted a hydro-plane

I got the opprotunity the other day to paint an unlimited light hydroplane. These are 1 class below the turbine engine unlimiteds. He runs a 509 chevy.

next one shows bottom paint done

and done with paint

larry.beck

Re: painted a hydro-plane

Oh now that must have been a blast - do you get a ride in exchange for the paint job?? :bounce:

A

Anonymous

looks like Darth Vader should pilot it! Awesome!

Doza

im kinda curious how you got a nice even spray on the very sides of it with only 2 inches to spare on the sides?? i took autobody for 3 years in high school and have sprayed befor and you need to be like 6 inches away from the object you are spraying to allow the paint to diffuse properly..

Did it dry spray on the farthest edge of the hydro??

Did you guys not do any body work or fairing on it befor you sprayed??

I see a few dimples on it??:)

Not like it would mater when your doing 100mph or whatever it does..lol not like nobody is going to see them...

lars on

Doza said:
im kinda curious how you got a nice even spray on the very sides of it with only 2 inches to spare on the sides?? i took autobody for 3 years in high school and have sprayed befor and you need to be like 6 inches away from the object you are spraying to allow the paint to diffuse properly..

Not like it would mater when your doing 100mph or whatever it does..lol not like nobody is going to see them...
2 inches through those doors :)

Doza

lars on said:
Doza said:

2 inches through those doors :)
Aww i see it now.. LOL at myself.. so you had plenty of room to spray than....

Edit... Well i wouldnt say plenty.. More like enough room...lol..
Very nice booth by the way... Whos booth were you spraying at??

aaronfeeney

hydro

just enough room to spray sides, We did not do body work, all that was done by boat crew, he ran out of time , has to get ready for tri-cities then sea fair, no time to do another skim of bondo and filler primer.There are lots of imperfections , I would have lilked to see repaired. All in All it was fun to do another Hydro. I painted and worked on the crew for the U-9 miss Exide in '97.

And very true at 150 mph no one will see the defects in the body.
cockpit was sprayed first then walked my way out to edges and to rear. Had to walk on the boat to reach all surfaces, ran slow reducer on clear coat , to keep wet edge as long as possible, but the cockpit area did get some dry spray, and will need to be cleaned up a bit. Then bake at 140 for 1/2 hour

hbluehunter

That is awesome, i've been into hydro's for years.. Would love to work on one that would be a blast.. :)

aaronfeeney

hydro

loading on trailer

something to remember, although I say " I painted a hydroplane"---WE painted a hydro plane is more accurate, as you can see in these pics I do have a whole crew of guys that make me look good, by doing their jobs well. I have to share credit for getting this done. My painter and I sprayed the paint and several others helped move this thing.