Overstocking my 75g or not? Need opinions.

TRD_Power

Right now I have a 75g stocked with one yellow tail barracuda, one needle nose gar, one giant pleco, and 2 cory cats. I have a little bit of a snail problem and absolutely LOVE clown loaches, but I also want to keep my current fish comfortable. Each one of my fish will reach the 11-14"+ mark (except the cory's), and I know clown loaches can reach lengths around that as well... Anyways, do you all think adding 1-2 clown loaches would be overcrowding the tank? All opinions are welcome!

Thanks

sandnuka

Clown loaches are very mild tempered... so as far as aggression shouldnt make a difference..... They are also clean up fish, so as far as the waste created, they clean allot.... maybe have to do an extra vacuume a month to clean the extra poop, but I think it should be fine..... but I tend to overstock all my tanks, so thats just my opinion.

IceBerg

TRD_Power said:
Right now I have a 75g stocked with one yellow tail barracuda, one needle nose gar, one giant pleco, and 2 cory cats. I have a little bit of a snail problem and absolutely LOVE clown loaches, but I also want to keep my current fish comfortable. Each one of my fish will reach the 11-14"+ mark (except the cory's), and I know clown loaches can reach lengths around that as well... Anyways, do you all think adding 1-2 clown loaches would be overcrowding the tank? All opinions are welcome!

Thanks
I'm worried about your poor little cories. Aren’t they just a bite sized snack for the yellow tail barracuda and the needle nose gar? Also your cories would really enjoy being in a larger school. :(

TRD_Power

IceBerg said:
TRD_Power said:

Thanks
I'm worried about your poor little cories. Aren’t they just a bite sized snack for the yellow tail barracuda and the needle nose gar? Also your cories would really enjoy being in a larger school. :(
Both the Gar and Cuda won't go anywhere near the Cory cats because of their armor. I had both when they were about 1/2" and the Cuda wouldn't pay any attention to them, but now they're around the 1.5" mark. Both the Cuda and Gar become VERY mild-mannered after they reach the 6" mark, so pretty much every fish in the tank over 1.5" is safe, especially the Cory cats. I actually have 3 more Cory's in a 10g, but they're from a friend and I'm making sure they're good to go before introducing them into my 75g, so they'll be having a good old time together pretty soon :) I was considering just getting some Assassin snails instead of some Clown Loaches, but I just love the clowns so much... Tough call here...

A

Anonymous

i would say, add about 8 more corries and 2 clown loaches and youll be great. my dad had the same setup withought the cuda (had a random huge cichlid though) and he had 10 cories, 2 loaches, and a gar and never had a problem (occasionaly a cory would go missing though :cry: )