FS *Out of stock*Golden Mystery Snails, Kitsap peninsula, meet up/pick up

John58Ford

I've finally saturated all my hyper-local fish keepers with these beautiful little helpers and am ready to expand distribution a bit.

I have bred/grown out 5-6 generations of these and my current stock is especially soft water (6-7ph) tolerant with good diet. Yellow/gold shell, cream foot with orange sparkle. They typically live 14-16 months in 80-82f water and I've been told they'll go longer in cooler tanks.

11 month Adult and juveniles:
20220512_132751_HDR~2.jpg
20220512_132937~2.jpg
20220512_132345~2.jpg

Available now:
1/4"-1/2" golden mystery snails soft water grown. 2$/ea $15/dzn for pick-up or local meet. Meet up across the water/bridge add $7. Free delivery for fish room tours :whistle:whistle:whistle.
I do have some Tanganyika water parameter bred mysteries, they are a much deeper gold, not enough stock to sell yet but I can say for certain than you can put the low pH bred snails straight into a high pH tank with no issues. Once my high pH bred snails are in sufficient numbers I will offer them as well.
20220512_133207~2.jpg

Last edited:

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
I don't suppose these guys would be happy in Tanganyika water? They're super cool.

Oh, sorry; I didn't see your postscript. I'd definitely like to try a couple dozen; I wouldn't dare put them in with Tropheus, but I think they'd be OK in some of my sand-dweller tanks. Fish room tour on offer! :)

Last edited:

John58Ford

I don't suppose these guys would be happy in Tanganyika water? They're super cool.

Oh, sorry; I didn't see your postscript. I'd definitely like to try a couple dozen; I wouldn't dare put them in with Tropheus, but I think they'd be OK in some of my sand-dweller tanks. Fish room tour on offer! :)
I'll PM you with a list of times I can bring them out to you. Regarding Tropheus, I'll donate a large one to science if you share the results with us, they have operculums and are fairly smart so as long as the fish can't fit a golf ball in it's mouth or is specialy adapted to prey on snails/clams (puffers, some loaches etc) we might have some success.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
I'll PM you with a list of times I can bring them out to you. Regarding Tropheus, I'll donate a large one to science if you share the results with us, they have operculums and are fairly smart so as long as the fish can't fit a golf ball in it's mouth or is specialy adapted to prey on snails/clams (puffers, some loaches etc) we might have some success.
Sounds good.

The Tropheus won't try to eat them, but they are inquisitive and hyperkinetic and might just hassle them to death. Then again, they get bored easily, so they might learn pretty quickly and leave them alone. No telling, really.

John58Ford

I still have a couple dozen of these little guys available, most are in the 1/2"-5/8" size range now. Also have 4 full grown 2"+ that are moving to the retirement tanks I would toss in with an order. Not looking to sell the retirees individually as they probably only have 3-5 months left and are in various grades of shell condition.

* It has been noted that adult mystery snails have a large enough foot to get suction locked to a HOB filter intake, pre-filters are recommended in that situation

Last edited:

sir_keith

Legendary Member
John-

I'll take them!

I can give you a more detailed update about the last batch when we get together, but mostly they are doing well. The unfortunate event with the AC110 taught me to install sponge pre-filters on the intakes in tanks where the snails reside. Otherwise they are doing well with my Xeno's and Featherfins. Not so much in my mixed N. multifasciatus/J. ornatus tank. I thought this might be a problem, because every square inch of that tank is somebody's territory, and the young J. ornatus in particular can be quite aggressive. I think the snails might be fine with the multi's and/or the ornatus in a less densely populated tank, just not in this one.

John58Ford

You got it, I'll set up a time with you in PM.

There should be another batch 6-8 months from now, unless I get the Tanganyika raised adults to breed a little quicker. Will update when available again.