Oscar Problem

Jantilla

I noticed some weird black spots near my Oscar’s gills. They are on both sides. Also earlier in the day I saw only one gill plate moving. They are both moving now. Does my Oscar have gill flukes or something else?

Jantilla

image_preview.php
[/url][/img]

A

Anonymous

I'm sorry, diseases are not something I'm super familiar with. I wish you the best of luck, and the advice I have is to google the symptoms, and read, read, read everything.

Jantilla

It looks like flukes since he was only using one gill. I'm thinking about using some Aquarium Salt and Parasite Clear by Jungle Labs.

Jantilla

Thanks for the link. The gill plate that wasn't moving earlier is moving but the one that was moving earlier isn't. This is weird. He is swimming and eating.

Jantilla

I'll just have to keep a eye on him and keep my water healthy. Would Aquarium Salt help at all? I have used it in the past.

Gryphon

You found the OFL forums before I had a chance to jump on and link them to you. Miss Nicki definitely knows Oscars pretty good, and most other cichlids as well. Definitely a good source of information there!

Jantilla

I've been a member for awhile on oscarfishlover but come on here much more often so that''s why I posted on here first. It looks like oscars are often using one gill more then the other.

Jantilla

Nope looks like everything is normal. I found out that oscar's don't always use both gills. I was just freaked out when I saw only one moving.