Ornates X2

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
E63C7254-EE8C-4101-8162-536E003EB5B7.jpeg E6FA3AD3-39F0-4172-B397-8337AA32ED42.jpeg
Today we stopped by Martin Henry’s in Lakewood to buy crickets for my son’s bearded dragon when I found 2 ornate bichirs forsale..... after Black Friday / small business Saturday they were pretty wiped out, but I saw in their large tank 3 huge syno cats and then one larger cat that looked similar but was solid black and not spotted. Anyways, while contemplating picking up a catfish ($25 each) I noticed that under some fake decorations that they had two ornate bichirs. Great markings and fairly outgoing as they came out and swam around.... they are between 9-10”

so I went and asked the price thinking they would be anywhere from $80-150 each ( based on another store that has similar ones for-sale for $250 each. He said they were a pair which made me worry as I didn’t want to spend crazy money, but he came back and said the pair was for sale for. $75. I asked each and he said both.

I took them both without hesitation!!!!

when I went to pay, I had a 20% off coupon from previous trips!!!!

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
View attachment 7070 View attachment 7071
Today we stopped by Martin Henry’s in Lakewood to buy crickets for my son’s bearded dragon when I found 2 ornate bichirs forsale..... after Black Friday / small business Saturday they were pretty wiped out, but I saw in their large tank 3 huge syno cats and then one larger cat that looked similar but was solid black and not spotted. Anyways, while contemplating picking up a catfish ($25 each) I noticed that under some fake decorations that they had two ornate bichirs. Great markings and fairly outgoing as they came out and swam around.... they are between 9-10”

so I went and asked the price thinking they would be anywhere from $80-150 each ( based on another store that has similar ones for-sale for $250 each. He said they were a pair which made me worry as I didn’t want to spend crazy money, but he came back and said the pair was for sale for. $75. I asked each and he said both.

I took them both without hesitation!!!!

when I went to pay, I had a 20% off coupon from previous trips!!!!

Well, that’s an awesome Happy Birthday present.

FishBeast

Very sweet deal!! Congrats! Sex them and see if you can breed them! If they are both male I would like to offer breeding attempt with my ornate someday if ok with you, she has been hooking up with random men in the tank and laying eggs about monthly. The eggs don’t survive and fungus up pretty quick.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Very sweet deal!! Congrats! Sex them and see if you can breed them! If they are both male I would like to offer breeding attempt with my ornate someday if ok with you, she has been hooking up with random men in the tank and laying eggs about monthly. The eggs don’t survive and fungus up pretty quick.
That is really cool! When I had the tank full of polys, I never got to see that happen. I do see the males doing their thing. They practice the 'catch and fertilize' of the females eggs.
IMG_20180513_153302203_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg