OnTheROAD episode #7 w/GuapoteMel

Madness

Staff member
Here is episode 7 of my OnTheROAD series. I had the pleasure of filming and chatting with Mel O'mera, the YouTube icon GuapoteMel.

For those that do not know Mel, Mel has been around for a very long time. Mel was the first person in the U.S. to house a WC Umbee, and it was of the green variant, a fish you do not see any more. Mel also is the only known hobbyist to house a Dovii over 26". Unfortunately this beast passed in January but he lived a long and fruitful life of 13+ years. Mel also is the only person from my understanding to have Ornatums breed in captivity. Unfortunately they did not survive so that Mel could remove them, this pair has also recently passed and also lived a long fruitful life of 12+ years.

Mel use to write articles in several fish publications back when computers were nonexistent. He currently has one of the largest Chancho I have seen in captivity about 18" long 12" tall and an easy 6" thick.

I hope that you enjoy this video as much as I did filming it.

In the video you will see a beautiful Istlanum tank, these fish are available so if interested let me know.

[flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/JA6jGkvU2lM" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true[/flash]

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Madness said:
Mel use to write articles in several fish publications back when computers were nonexistent.
Back when everyone still used an abacus?  :lmfao: 

Mel has some impressive set ups! I think its time for me to save up for a BIG tank... so many ideas

dwarfpike

DMD123 said:
Wait, doesn't everyone still use them? Or should I throw mine out?  :laughhard: 

Absolutely loved this one, but then I've wanted to visit Mel's since Kevin and him tried to start that local cichlid club back when, '09 or so?

My favorite part, and a little personal vindication, were the atros. I always said, back when they and the .cf gephyrum (Not sure if they were decided if they were gephyrum or not by now, every one called them ornatums at the time) first started coming back into the hobby that I was way more excited by the atros. Mel's fish show why.

Madness

Staff member
dwarfpike said:
DMD123 said:
Absolutely loved this one, but then I've wanted to visit Mel's since Kevin and him tried to start that local cichlid club back when, '09 or so?
I must correct you on this, ;) We did start it  :geek:  And it was myself, Darren and Mel that started that club, and it lasted almost a year before it died. :)

dwarfpike

Madness said:
dwarfpike said:
I must correct you on this, ;)  We did start it  :geek:  And it was myself, Darren and Mel that started that club, and it lasted almost a year before it died. :)  
Then I have a bone to pick with you!!! I only got emails for the first two meetings (Mel's place but I was in Canada at the time) and the second one in Edmonds. After that, no more emails!!!  :swear: :scratch: Guess I wasn't cool enough to be part of your club!!!  :(  That's okay, I didn't like you guys anyway!!!  :lmfao: :laughhard: :lol!: 

Madness

Staff member
Also dwarfpike, it was Gephyrum, Ornatums (despite what they say) have not been collected in many years, and no one has had a successful spawn of them so the ones we see are most definitely Gephyrum. And I agree on the Atros, a beautifully underrated fish.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Madness said:
We did start it  :geek:  And it was myself, Darren and Mel that started that club, and it lasted almost a year before it died. :)  
Only three members... well at least you guys could each get 2 beers out of each six pack!  :lmfao: 

Tough thing to do, deciding where to meet each time, and coming up with a reason why to meet. Just watching these on the road videos has kind of been like being part of a club. Keep up the good work!  :clap: 

dwarfpike

Yeah, I was insulted a lot on MFK that pointing out they were definitely not Ornatum. To me, they didn't even really look that close (close over all, but different enough to make me question them) but to me the big thing was the location. Ornatum aren't found in the same systems as atros, and they have the Andes in the way from connecting the watersheds. But alas, people wanted to believe what they wanted.

I hadn't been on the high science-y sites in a while, so I wasn't sure of their current status (cf. gephyrum or if it was decided they actually were gephyrum). That's what I meant by my rather convoluted sentence there.

Absolutely LOVED the atros. I have never seen pics of them looking so bright before.

Madness

Staff member
dwarfpike said:
Madness said:
dwarfpike said:
I must correct you on this, ;)  We did start it  :geek:  And it was myself, Darren and Mel that started that club, and it lasted almost a year before it died. :)  
Then I have a bone to pick with you!!! I only got emails for the first two meetings (Mel's place but I was in Canada at the time) and the second one in Edmonds. After that, no more emails!!!  :swear: :scratch: Guess I wasn't cool enough to be part of your club!!!  :(  That's okay, I didn't like you guys anyway!!!  :lmfao: :laughhard: :lol!: 
Wow you are all messed up, lol I guess we missed you more than what you think. :) Mel was in charge of the email list and the second meeting was at my place, the third was in fife. I guess Mel really didnt want you there  :nutkick:   :lmfao:  :lmfao: 

dwarfpike

Well, it was a while ago, my abacus doesn't count that high. *lol* But still ... I guess he didn't like my little cichlids!!!  :lmfao:

cichlid-gal

Another great video with lots of fish I've never seen. Big guys and really beautiful. Thanks Mel for sharing your beautiful tanks and thanks Shaun for taking the time to visit Mel and do the video. Great work.

Zerc

Wow, those videos are a great idea. I pop in here and read stuff every so often, but the traveling around and making videos of local tanks is pretty awesome.

:clap: 

Madness

Staff member
Zerc said:
Wow, those videos are a great idea.  I pop in here and read stuff every so often, but the traveling around and making videos of local tanks is pretty awesome.

:clap: 
Thank you, nice to see you back. :)

Madness

Staff member
ShortyKiloGyrl said:
Holey Hannah some of those fish are HUGE!!! Awesome video as always. How many gallons does he have??!

Just over 3000 gallons total, but just 3 of those tanks total 2200 gallons