OMG they keep coming (UPDATED 8-16-11)

Madness

Staff member
Well my water must have something in it finally. I have about 200+ F1 Dovi babies, 100+ F1 Red Devil babies, 200+ F1 Hogaboomarum babies, (yes :face: I finally got some fry, but I got them from my second pair, not my original pair! Thanks HALP for the awesome male.) Oh, and I have some Convict marble babies just hatching too.
674514.gif
These will all be up for sale in a month or so. The Dovi are about 1/2" and the others just started free swimming last weekend.

Madness

Staff member
What good is talking about the babies, without pics of the parents. :)

My Hoga's first spawn. They have been such awesome parents so far. Dad never leaves them alone, and is constantly getting his nose down next to them. When he does that, all of the babies come up and swim around his head. Its pretty cool to watch. Dad is about 11" and mom is 6". Couldn't have asked for better parents.
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]

This is my Red Devil. If you have ever checked out my fish family photos. This is the wild caught male I ordered a year ago. At which time he was approx 5" and yellow. Since then he has changed quite a bit. He has become very aggressive over the last month. Where my Hogas are great parents, he is not that great. After spawning, he lets mom watch the eggs, but once they start wiggling, he kicks her to the curb. She tries to come back to take care of the young, but he beat her so bad she died. So now he has a tank bred female with him. As you can see by his upper lip, they have lip locked a few times. I will eventually order another large lipped org/black female from Rapps, to spawn with him. He is about 11". The babies are in a 55 gal.
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]

My Dovi pair. Since the fry began free swimming, dad has been relentless in protecting the tank. Mom and dad never sit still now. I am even afraid to feed them at times. I covered the glass lids with towels so that he cant see my hands. Cause otherwise he slams the lid or waits till I open, and up he comes, with some serious force. Awesome fish. Definitely not for the beginner. Especially at this size. Dad is about 15+" and mom is 11"
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]

Oh, and the Convicts are Convicts. :p Mom is a beautiful white, not your typical pink Con, but definitely white. Dad is a marble/calico.

Anthraxx

great fish. hope a lot of those babies make it in the long run. clearly the parents r doing good. making me want to go back to SA/CA's :)

Madness

Staff member
Since my last post, my 1st pair of Hogas have spawned, my Festae have fry, and my rare long finned Dempseys have fry. :affraid:

It must be in the water. Any of you breeders out there that need to get their pairs breeding, I will sell some of my water. :p :laughhard: :laughhard: :laughhard:

All fry will be available in a month or so. Now its time to find them all a tank. Hmmm. :scratch:

I knew this would happen. But not a problem, I think its cool to have this problem. :punk:

Here are pics of the new parents:
Female Festae
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]
Male Festae
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]
Male Dempsey
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]
Female Dempsey
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]
Male Hoga #1
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]

HALP

Ah I miss my old hoga, I'm glad he is doing you good. Looks amazing as ever. Grats again on the fry.

JK47

With festae it's better to leave the fry in the tank the spawn in and remove the parents, so I'll just be hanging on to ma and pa for you while the rest grow out lol...

(crosses fingers he falls for it)

Madness

Staff member
Well my Red Devil male has spawned again with a new female. Again once the eggs were laid, he booted her to the curb and now he is watching them. They are wiggling now, so this morning he moved them all to a hole in a rock. Has anyone ever heard of this? I thought that Amph were mutual parents and raised the young together.

My Hoga pair#1 that just spawned, AGAIN my male was not able to fertilize the eggs and they all turned white. But Hoga pair #2 look like they are going to spawn again.

As for the Festae. Are they normally good parents? I have know where to put the parents at this time. And the male has really beat up on the female, until they spawned, and now they watch the babies together. (so far) The eggs just hatched yesterday and mom moved them all to the back of the pot.

Madness

Staff member
Hoga pair #2 it is confirmed. Mom and dad have what it looks like, 1000 eggs. :affraid:

Now I noticed that my Salvini pair are digging and chasing all away from one area of the tank. Hmmmm. Maybe some of them soon too.

Madness

Staff member
Hey JK, not a bad idea. :) to bad your ridiculously to far away. :( Sorry. But I'll let you buy some fry. :)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Awesome pictures! Love the Red devil with the lips. Keep up the good work.

Madness

Staff member
DMD123 said:
Awesome pictures! Love the Red devil with the lips. Keep up the good work.
Thanks. Been working on my picture taking skills, still have a long ways to go. :) Thinking of pairing a barred blue female with the Devil male. :scratch: We'll see.

Madness

Staff member
Well since my original post in May, the spawning has not slowed down. Here is the list:

Red Devil F1 babies (3 months old ready for purchase) Batch #1
Red devil F1 babies (4 weeks old) Batch #2
Hoga F1 babies (10 weeks old ready for purchase) Batch #1
Hoga F1 babies (6 weeks old) Batch #2
Dempsey babies (ready for purchase)
Red Isletas F1 babies (6 weeks old) Batch #1
Red Isletas F1 babies (4 weeks old) Batch #2
Red Isletas F1 babies (2 weeks old) Batch #3
Xiloaensis babies (4 weeks old, dad is white mom is barred blue)
Zonatus babies (2 weeks old)
Festae babies (10 weeks old, and growing like snails)
Dovi babies (3 months old ready for purchase) 2 left
Carpintis Escondido F2 babies (just hatched today)
Jag babies (5 weeks old)

LOOKING FOR A PLACE TO SPAWN

Xingu/Orange Pikes (laid eggs 3 days ago, dont know much about pike spawning. We will see if all went well)
Umbees (tubes are dropped as of 8-16, should have eggs before Friday)

IN THE SPAWNING MOOD AGAIN

Jags (2nd batch free swimming)
Dovi (laid eggs yesterday 8-15)
Festae (in the process of setting up a new tank for them, hopefully it sparks another spawn)
Devils
New barred blue Dev w/ barred red devil

THEY JUST KEEP COMING. :lol:
185565.gif
185565.gif
185565.gif
185565.gif
185565.gif

Madness

Staff member
Oh ya, pics of the new parents. :)
Male Zonatus
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]

Female Zonatus
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]

Female Pike
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]
Hogas w/fry
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]
Red Isletas w/fry
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]
Male Xilo
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]
Female Jag w/fry
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]
Female Carpintis
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]

Madness

Staff member
She is a sweetheart. :) One of my favorites. Her and the male have been together since they were an inch or so big. He is now 7" her 6". Here are a couple more pics of parents. I took these last night.

Female Carpintis
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]
Male Carpintis
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]
M/F Pike
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]