Octopus?

Wolf-Keeper1

Do any of our saltwater folks here keep them? That would be some serious sickness!

why is there a minimum length for a title?? Lol

censeoflife

Man that would be awesome. There has to be a bunch of different kinds, some species or small and may be able to live in a tank.

Wolf-Keeper1

I seen a couple on YouTube. Really makes me want to start a saltwater tank. But my impulsiveness may get the poor little octopus killed. Lol.

I seen another YouTube video in a zoo aquarium I think Seattle and this freaking octopus caught a shark lol I mean damn that's cool.

Wolf-Keeper1

Well the zoo can keep them contained. It's possible. Extremely diffuclt but it takes a dedicated hobbyist to keep them. Plus I heard the life span is a couple years only.

Spyral

Not at all impossible to keep contained.

They are expensive, and most do not live much past 2 years, even in the wild.

As an example, in the best (wild) conditions a lot of species live to only be 6 months old before dying of old age. A giant like the North Pacific Giant Octopus only lives to 5 years in the best (wild) conditions. So add to that the stress of captivity, their short life expectancy (even in the wild) and you have a pet that basically sucks.

Spyral

From Wikipedia -

Though octopuses can be difficult to keep in captivity, some people keep them as pets. Octopuses often escape even from supposedly secure tanks, due to their problem-solving skills, mobility and lack of rigid structure.

The variation in size and life span among octopus species makes it difficult to know how long a new specimen can naturally be expected to live. That is, a small octopus may be just born or may be an adult, depending on its species. By selecting a well-known species, such as the California Two-spot Octopus, one can choose a small octopus (around the size of a tennis ball) and be confident that it is young with a full life ahead of it.

Octopuses are also quite strong for their size. Octopuses kept as pets have been known to open the covers of their aquariums and survive for a time in the air in order to get to a nearby feeder tank and gorge themselves on the fish there[citation needed]. Large octopuses have also been known to catch and kill some species of sharks.[44]

Wolf-Keeper1

What about squid? Or cuttle fish? I just think that would be awesome. Only two vids on YouTube with squid so probably even harder then octopus.

Wolf-Keeper1

Not sure how big most squid get. But the ones I used to catch where about 5-6 inches. You'll probably have a crap load of water changes if they get scared though lol inky water haha

Paintguy

I remember talking to someone down at the Seattle Aquarium about their octopus. They can only keep them for a few years, then they release into the wild so they will hopefully spawn. I think the specific species they have only lives 8 years.

Wolf-Keeper1

That's the crazy thing. Most don't want there octopus to spawn in capitivity cause then the male dies. And I think the female shortly after eggs are laid. It does seen like a sucky pet. But a cool sucky pet. Lol

Jray33

I at one time was researching keeping dwarf cuttle fish. Sepia Bandensis should only reach about 6 inches. you have got to be a seriously dedicated aquarist to keep/ breed these animals. Breeding them could justify keeping them, if you can raise to adulthood, then spawn, raise... repeat. you get the idea; but not everybody can do that. check em out! if just to satisfy your curiosity... I wouldnt suggest buying something that is too challenging for you to raise. I'm sure there is youtube videos.

as far as squid go, i think they are a little different to keep, because they dart around more and could damage themselfs if there is walls to run in to.

CrazedAce

Releasing a captive animal from aquarium to wilderness... Seems illegal to me. Introducing various types of diseases, etc.