Non-Kinking Water Changing Hose?

Madness

Staff member
You can easily fix that by attaching the hose to a piece of PVC pipe and use that. The picture may explain it better.
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
:iagree:  I made the same set up to fill my tank

That's what we use at Aquarium Co-Op... I might end up going that approach... who knows.
I just need a longer hose, really... and just preferred it to be kink-free or at least kink resistant.

Madness

Staff member
I need one that doesnt leak. I want to do the same thing that FishnaBowl did, by hooking to a Y in my laundry room but my hoses (every hose) leaks. Not at the threads part but where the threaded part attaches to the metal part that is crimped around the hose.

Madness

Staff member
Oh and if you did cold water changes you wouldnt have to run a hose to your sink, you could use your outside faucet.  :D 

Yeah... I don't do cold water changes, other wise, I would have been using the garden hose for doing water changes in my garage. Hehehehe!!

Also, oddly enough, the garden hose in the back yard has this ODD ... soapy smell to it, I can't really describe it, but it definitely does NOT smell fish safe, that's for sure.

Madness

Staff member
You know your fish would live longer if you did. Just saying, but its your choice if you want to keep having your fish ingest and swim in all of those toxins that come from your hot water tank. ;)

Drd62

Amen, a lot of people don't realize that their hot water tanks can hold quite a bit of sediment which ingested over a period of time will affect the health of your fish. Good point to bring to people Shawn...  :lol

Madness

Staff member
Dont mean to derail Poke, but this is a serious topic.  You can give that half assed sarcastic response all you want, and when your fish only live half of their expected lives you can look back at that sarcastic comment.  Its responses like I have seen today that cause me to stay away from this forum.   And all I am trying to do is help you and others.  Why is it so many people are to stubborn or set in their ways and refuse to look outside their bubble?

I have a close friend who for the past 5+ years has been going down hill fast health wise.  Doctors could not find the reason why.  Until they tested there water.  The same metals that are polluting your fish were polluting her.  She is now much more healthy & basically not dieing.  This is just one story of health issues due to metals in the water.  Do some reading you may change that sarcastic response.

Drd62

I opted not to respond because I'm giving my own opinion. Being a fish hobbyist for many years I used tepid to warm water changes not realizing I was doing more harm to my fish ie: potentially shortening the life span of my fish. Since I changed to solely cold water changes a few years back I noticed my fish responded very well to it and has more then likely affected their health in a positive manner. I, like madness have a sizable investment in my stock and if some one who probably hasn't had to go through trials and tribulations gives a sarcastic & ignorant response, that's their perocative!!

MRTom

I agree with the cold water changes being cleaner, as well as more efficient from an electric bill point of view! Hobby is expensive enough as it is!

I guess the one thing I would add is most materials will age after a while, and if you always use the same end of the hose in the tank, it will eventually kink, unless you make a nice adapter like the one posted earlier. I find that you can do behavioral changes that reduce kink related annoyances, like draping the hose over a tall piece of furniture to avoid kinks, and rolling the hose while draining it to make storage easier and avoid struggling with sticky hose.

Then there is the option of warming up the hose by dumping it in a bucket of boiling water... though this may be a little hard to do unless you have home brewing equipment too :D

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
What about vinyl tubing? It is drinkable water safe. That's what I use and you can get it in long lengths and if you get a thicker wall to it it doesn't kink much. This is what I use for my 50' length but it comes in large rolls up to 100' and is relatively cheap. I added an emergency shut off valve in line (which makes a spray mess in the kitchen but is much easier than run over in the tank spilling on the carpet) I like Madness' idea with the hook over the side pvc piping!

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
MRTom said:
I agree with the cold water changes being cleaner, as well as more efficient from an electric bill point of view! Hobby is expensive enough as it is!

I guess the one thing I would add is most materials will age after a while, and if you always use the same end of the hose in the tank, it will eventually kink, unless you make a nice adapter like the one posted earlier. I find that you can do behavioral changes that reduce kink related annoyances, like draping the hose over a tall piece of furniture to avoid kinks, and rolling the hose while draining it to make storage easier and avoid struggling with sticky hose.

Then there is the option of warming up the hose by dumping it in a bucket of boiling water... though this may be a little hard to do unless you have home brewing equipment too :D

When I bought my vinyl tubing it was the end of the roll and in very tight coils. I was as well trying to figure out a way like dumping into a bucket. I ended up attaching the python to the kitchen sink and running the tank end into the bathtub and turning on the hot water at the sink. I let the water run out into the tub and rolled the house up how I wanted for coil sizes when I drained it. Worked great!

I think I'd rather just buy the right type of hose that doesn't kink, than deal with a kinky hose that you'd have to "troubleshoot" to prevent kinking. :)

Like I mentioned earlier, one of my hoses is really flexible and rubber-like...to where it doesn't kink at all, but doesn't make the hose rigid. It's really neat stuff. I want more of that particular hose.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Madness said:
You know your fish would live longer if you did.  Just saying, but its your choice if you want to keep having your fish ingest and swim in all of those toxins that come from your hot water tank. ;)
How big of tank should you do this with at minimum and what percent of water changes? I never really thought of the ill effect warm water could have but it makes perfect sense! I've seen the junk that comes comes out of the bottom of a hot water tank. It is quite the nasty sludge that oozes out!