New to Washington

Sink

Yo,

I just moved up to the Issaquah area (address is Bellevue, though) and I wanted to stop by and say hello. I moved up from Orange County, California and it's taking a little bit of adjusting to get used to the fish community up here. I am learning to appreciate how the hobby is in OC, from selection to prices. I've been to a couple shops around here, not really diggin' them. My lady and I are going to A Place For Pets and Aquarist World tonight to see what they have.

I've been in the freshwater side of the hobby about 15 years and the salt water side about 4. If any of you are from monsterfishkeepers.com, my name on those forums is Aesop, and I've been there for some time...met lots of interesting people.

I currently have a 200 gallon tank setup with just a couple catfish in it, one of the many synodontis species and a small tiger shovelnose. I have a 30 gallon nano reef that I used to have setup also, but I'm not sure when I'm going to invest the money into putting a reef back together.

I look forward to reading through your threads!

Have fun!

Also, I have a youtube channel with lots of videos of my past fish, enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/sinkthefrog

aaronfeeney

Welcome I think you'll find, the hobbiests here have better selection of rare, cool fish than a lot of the stores.

Kaosu

Welcome to Washington!!!!

^_^ im on monsterfishkeepers.com as well as as the same name on here....

welcome to the site! im just a few hours north of you in skagit county!

Sink

Thanks for the replies!

I just added nine, what I think are Blue Botia Loaches and a male stingray pup. We used to have 10 clown loaches, pretty decent sized, when I had my arowana and bichir setup going. Loaches were one of my girl's favorite fish, so we decided on getting some more. This time, we went with the blues to "mix it up" since we had clowns already in Cali.

sidekicking

Hey Sink welcome to the Box
I grew up in LA but spend a couple of months in the OC when I was younger, with my aunt and uncle. I spend a couple of minutes watchin your youtube channel you have great looking tanks man. speacially that little reef you had

How did you like you A place for for pets? did you meet Kevin?

Sink

We didn't get to A Place for Pets, unfortunately. With traffic in the rain, by the time I picked my lady up from work in Union Lake and then got out to Aquarist World...she was ready to go home and get some dinner, haha! We got the loaches and stringray from the owner of AW (didn't catch his name), he seemed like a really nice guy, joked with us a bit and talked about Westminster, Cali.

Our 200gallon is pretty much all bottom dwellers, so I'm looking at some mid-top water fish still. I've always had an arowana, but I'm trying to come up with something different, perhaps. Maybe you guys/gals can help give me some suggestions? Stocklist is posted in this thread...I need something docile enough that it won't eat my loaches! (I.E., No Jardinis!)

@sidekicking: thanks for taking the time to peep my channel! I really do appreciate it, I started it as a way to show my fish to my friends/family on the east coast...then, people started subscribing and asking me for more! Now I have like 40 videos posted on there.....haha!

Sink

Thanks!

Went to A Place For Pets today, they were really helpful and a nice bunch of people.

Ashley

Welcome! Seems like we are pretty close to neighbors also. My boyfriend and I live in newcastle up on the hill! Cool that you are into catfish, we have a 24" RTCxTSN mix he's pretty cool and I can't wait to get my stingrays. Im assuming if you got your ray from Michael at Aquarist world you got a motoro? That huge female gives him pups every couple months lol.

As for cool pet shops I love pet pourii in everett, king discus in china town, QT aquatics in china town, EZ aquatics in white center, and aquarist world in white center. You can every now and again find something cool at these places but I would just order online from vendors to be honest! Anything rare you find will be super expensive in any of the stores around here!

You said you need something up top in your tank other than a arowana that's pretty docile? The only thing that comes to mind is a gar. We have two and they're really mellow but I love them, and again wayyyy over paid for them when i found them at King discus, lol.

Anyways, welcome again to WA and the forum. The boyfriend and I are always looking for new fish peeps so don't be a stranger!

Sink

Ashley said:
Welcome! Seems like we are pretty close to neighbors also. My boyfriend and I live in newcastle up on the hill! Cool that you are into catfish, we have a 24" RTCxTSN mix he's pretty cool and I can't wait to get my stingrays. Im assuming if you got your ray from Michael at Aquarist world you got a motoro? That huge female gives him pups every couple months lol.

As for cool pet shops I love pet pourii in everett, king discus in china town, QT aquatics in china town, EZ aquatics in white center, and aquarist world in white center. You can every now and again find something cool at these places but I would just order online from vendors to be honest! Anything rare you find will be super expensive in any of the stores around here!

You said you need something up top in your tank other than a arowana that's pretty docile? The only thing that comes to mind is a gar. We have two and they're really mellow but I love them, and again wayyyy over paid for them when i found them at King discus, lol.

Anyways, welcome again to WA and the forum. The boyfriend and I are always looking for new fish peeps so don't be a stranger!
Thanks! I really like the RTCxTSN crosses...we used to have a RTC and went with the TSN now, because in my experience, they are "slightly" more docile. Every person I've known with big RTC and TSN always agree that the RTCs are WAY more competitive for food...although any cats will be, honestly.

We did get a motoro male from Michael...unfortunately, he said his big female died from over spawning but he still has the male. He had only 2 of the litter left, a male and female, when we showed up. Today, we picked up 2 gold spotted african knives and a small silver arowana (don't want the hassle of trying to track down a black again) from A Place For Pets...I really liked the guys there.

We're done stocking my 200 gallon now, except maybe a fire eel some point down the road...my girl really enjoys them.

lilfishie

Sink said:
I picked my lady up from work in Union Lake
Hey welcome to WAFishbox and the beautiful pacific northwest. I work down in the lake union area too. Between the UW and Fremont.
If you ever start up you reef tank again, let me know. I can get you a few coral pieces.
Welcome again.

Sink

lilfishie said:
Sink said:
I picked my lady up from work in Union Lake
Hey welcome to WAFishbox and the beautiful pacific northwest. I work down in the lake union area too. Between the UW and Fremont.
If you ever start up you reef tank again, let me know. I can get you a few coral pieces.
Welcome again.
Thanks!

It'll probably be a while before we setup the salt water tank, they're expensive!