new tank, new fish & dead snails... :(

Paintguy

Finally got up to Marysville and for a sweet deal from Sandnuka on a tank & fish. Even threw in a few plants. Got home and my Ebay purchase of 20 Nerite snails finally arrived.... all dead!.... grrr... dealing with the seller now. I realllly needed them as my 50 gal has some wicked tuff green algae that takes some serious muscle to remove.

But got the tank all set up and the fish are happy.

Paintguy

I paid about $22 for 20 of them shipped, & got 29 dead ones. I have them in a big mug in my tank... hoping they are just "Sleeping" after the 3 day trip from Florida. I saw some down at Blue Sierra in Issaquah but they were $3-4 for one snail.

sidekicking

I didn't know you could buy snails on eBay pretty cool...talk to jimmy at aquarium plus he sells nerite snails for 3 for 5 bucks....pretty cheap

sandnuka

Glad you got the tank up and running! what fish are you keepin in it now? the peacocks? or did you keep the originals? You need to throw up some pictures!

and congrats on winning the POTM last month!

Paintguy

46gal.jpg

All set up waiting to move my peacocks and haps in. Maybe today.

greentank.jpg

And this is an embarrassing picture of my 50 gal with all the green algae build up. The cup is full of the snails that I am still waiting to awaken (e-mailing the seller back and forth a bit now to work something out). The fish are doing great in here and love my rock set up. Still need to take my last plant out and maybe the wood too to keep the ph up. Tested the water and the ph level was an exact match from their home.

sandnuka

i cant believe you did that yourself! lol.... your the hulk man. Anyway, the set ups look freakin awesome! glad you got them, I know you will enjoy them.

Paintguy

Interesting with the snail concept... I found one tiny little snail in the bowfront that made the trip here in the gravel.

protocl

You may or may not have done this, but...did you shake each snail or smell to conclude it or they are dead?
When my single nerite passed, it smelled like rotten eggs!!!
Imagine a box full of'em!!!

Paintguy

no they did not stink when I got them.. well any worse than ocean water. Had my son float them in my tank till I got home then I put them in a bowl of the tank water to adapt to it... saw a few holding on to each other but no movement to speak of. None of them woke up from the trip. Bummer as he gave me extra and one Conch too.

icer711

like he said there should be no smell .... besides a little fishy water smell (you will know if u smelt it kinda musty) and the warmth helps them... but you really dont need to float them just place them snail side down and shell side up and if there there they should be off and running.... one note the olive one can take up to 3 day to get moving after being shipped all others should be good to go in no time

Paintguy

They were the olive ones and they are definitely wreaking now so I tossed them. Ug... I just threw up in my mouth thinking about that smell.

icer711

yep that means there dead n gone... tell you guy they stink so he should do something for you if not look up my gal she will get you taken care of

Paintguy

Well.. I went back threw them again and put the ones that were closed tight back in a tank. The shipper said the dead ones hang out of their shell a little. A shred of hope for them.