new tank...180

A

Anonymous

Mother of God, that tank was heavy! We Got the tank and stand into my place and set the egg crate on the bottom, applied the black background, dumped in 200 pounds of sand and filled it with water. I put the glass tops on and an AC 110 and began the cycling. Tuesday my canisters arrive and my heaters, so I will set those up then and be ready for fish in a week. Now for a few pictures. Not much to see, but I am stoked as all hell that it is set up!

Did I mention the damned thing is HUGE?

cd9824d7.jpg

ff7d48d0.jpg

9dfd556c.jpg

More pics will come during the week as the canisters are added and the Texas Holey Rock is added. I can't wait to get my Fronts in this bad boy!

icer711

it was good times :) and it wasn't that bad ;). those are some nice fonts and boy were they itching to get in there. cant wait to see it all done

A

Anonymous

TJ, thanks for all your help, I couldn't have done it without you!

larry.beck

Spyral said:
I can't wait to get my Fronts in this bad boy!
Just be sure the tank is fully cycled before you move them. You have a beautiful colony, don't get overly anxious and put them at risk.

A

Anonymous

I'm going to add some "cycle fish" mid week. I have all the time in the world, I won't be rushing it.

ceashel

Hey, nice meeting you yesterday! Holy crap, that tank is huge! It's going to look gorgeous when it's all decked out.

Oh, and I too am a member of the 'TJ is awesome' club. Seriously nice guy and always willing to help. :D

A

Anonymous

protocl said:
how much did you pay for it?
$1070 for the tank, stand and glass hoods. Then add about $30 for sand and the egg crate and about $200 in rocks, $500 in filters and heaters, $600 in fish and about $100 in lighting..so about $2500 after incidentals.

This is all new, mind you, I am sure you could do it a lot cheaper buying used, but I have a phobia about buying large used tanks since a buddy of mine had a 125 let go on him a week after he got it off CL.

protocl

Spyral said:
protocl said:
how much did you pay for it?
$1070 for the tank, stand and glass hoods. Then add about $30 for sand and the egg crate and about $200 in rocks, $500 in filters and heaters, $600 in fish and about $100 in lighting..so about $2500 after incidentals.

This is all new, mind you, I am sure you could do it a lot cheaper buying used, but I have a phobia about buying large used tanks since a buddy of mine had a 125 let go on him a week after he got it off CL.
oh man, a 125 G losing strength?! now that is BAD.

would you mind informing about what kind of filtration units and heating units you are planning to use?

A

Anonymous

protocl said:
would you mind informing about what kind of filtration units and heating units you are planning to use?
I am using 2 400W Marineland Stealth heaters (unbreakable), 2 Rena xP2 canister filters and 2 Aqua Clear 110 HOB filters. I will be building a sump for the tank eventually, but the bio-load of this tank will be low with only 14 fish (eventually it will only be 9) in it.

sandnuka

Sorry I couldnt come up and help brother...... tank looks huge!!!! Hey, a good way to get the tank started cycling allot faster is cleaning out your frontosa tank in a 5gal bucket.... take a couple loads of fish waste over to the new tank.... Starts cycling the next day!!! Your cycle will be done in a week.... make sure to test the water before the fronts get in there though.
Get some pictures up when its all done! That thing should be sparkling with thoughs filters you listed running.

A

Anonymous

I have been doing that for 3 days now. I have set up a few hundred tanks in my time.

jettej

Wow there you go. now you got it done. Congrats. Nice tank. I wish you all the best for your Fronts.

sandnuka

Spyral said:
I have been doing that for 3 days now. I have set up a few hundred tanks in my time.
Lol, figured you got that covered.... just wanted to make sure... .some people do the whole ammonia thing, Dunno why if they got existing tanks???? Congrats on the tank anyway! how many you have in the house now??

A

Anonymous

Just 2 tanks. The 55 is going to be torn down as soon as the 180 is done.

A

Anonymous

update...everything is up and running. Rock will be added tomorrow. Levels look real good. Been cycling with filter media from the established tank.

8c418ec2.jpg

545ac8cc.jpg

6ae1f78e.jpg

The blue is from dual Coralife T5 actinic bulbs.