New Member Returning to Hobby

Evergreenblue

Hello all,

Up until a few years ago, due to school and work, I was active in the hobby for several years primarily with salt/reef. I'm now getting back into things with the intent on expanding my hobby but with smaller tanks. I'll be getting rid of my 75 (post coming soon) and sticking with smaller tanks. As of now, I've got a 10g Dwarf Puffer tank, which is my first planted aquarium with minor frustrations. My plans are to set-up two 22 long aquariums side by side on a custom built-in (once I finish planning, I'll start building), one for freshwater and the other saltwater. If anyone cares here, I'm also getting into Vivariums and Dart Frogs, which I'm researching right now.

I wanted to say hi, before just posting in the classified, but I'll eventually start asking questions and keep anyone interested up to date on the future plans!

Thanks

Betty

Staff member
Welcome back to the hobby. We're always interested in new projects and setups. :thumbsup

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Hello all,

Up until a few years ago, due to school and work, I was active in the hobby for several years primarily with salt/reef. I'm now getting back into things with the intent on expanding my hobby but with smaller tanks. I'll be getting rid of my 75 (post coming soon) and sticking with smaller tanks. As of now, I've got a 10g Dwarf Puffer tank, which is my first planted aquarium with minor frustrations. My plans are to set-up two 22 long aquariums side by side on a custom built-in (once I finish planning, I'll start building), one for freshwater and the other saltwater. If anyone cares here, I'm also getting into Vivariums and Dart Frogs, which I'm researching right now.

I wanted to say hi, before just posting in the classified, but I'll eventually start asking questions and keep anyone interested up to date on the future plans!

Thanks

@Betty is spot on. Details, man! Don't scrimp on the details!! Also - pictures or it didn't happen. Just sayin'.

Evergreenblue

Thanks to both of you!

I'll try to post a picture of the 10g I have for Dwarf Puffers and my plants that aren't doing so hot, then I'll post in the classified of what I used to have up, which will now be for sale.

My Dwarf Puffer Tank I recently set up:
IMG_20170422_131209_zps8kjckvfg.jpg

A close up showing the pair:
IMG_20170422_131219_zpscjo3xkg2.jpg

I've been thinking I'm going to attempt to put some Amano shrimp in there to help clean up.

Evergreenblue

Thanks! I hope the frustrations with the plants go away with time... I'm sure I just need to get used to taking care of them and develop a routine for this tank.

Loren

Welcome. I love the setup. Who says that you can't do a lot with only a 10 gallon.

Evergreenblue

Thanks everyone! I actually brought home some more life today to make everything happier... some amano shrimp and taller plants. The puffers are already out and about a bit more exploring! I also got some black sand and sprinkled that on top of the clay substrate to hopefully help the little plants stay down until they root and start spreading. I'll try to upload a picture soon... I kind of just stuck the bunches where they fit, but think I want to just live with it for a bit, and see how they do and how the puffers like it before I decide if I want to replant them somewhere.

Side note, since I've been away from forums for a bit... can anyone suggest something better than photobucket? It's driving me crazy with the popups and how slow it is... and it keeps freezing on me!

Thanks again!

Evergreenblue

Quick question... What's the etiquette with posting a build thread? Is it ok to use one thread from planning through set-up and beyond for all my questions? Or is it preferred to split things up by category? (Reference above comment on wanting to see new set-ups...I have a few in mind!)

Betty

Staff member
Quick question... What's the etiquette with posting a build thread? Is it ok to use one thread from planning through set-up and beyond for all my questions? Or is it preferred to split things up by category? (Reference above comment on wanting to see new set-ups...I have a few in mind!)
I would say Yes, one thread from planning and beyond for each setup. Like one thread for your 10 gallon, another for your next tank and the tank after that... ;)

Evergreenblue

AH, got it! I suppose I'll get one going soon then, since I'm planning on doing something with the 2.5g sitting on my countertop that I'm breeding snails in! (It needs livened up)