New Light for 30gal

CrazedAce

So my 17w T8 24" light just blew out today, no surprise as I've had it forever. But I was wondering, what would be the ideal type of light to put on this tank for plant growth or fish color? I would prefer something not incredibly expensive, but something better than what I had! Any ideas?

CrazedAce

DMD123 said:
So far this is the best I could find at Kens:
http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/aquarium-lighting/aqueon-modular-led-30-inch-light-fixture.html

I would like LED, but is it worth it without having different light spectrums?
T5 sounds like it would be a good idea as well, but will that also cause algae growth?

I really have no idea when it comes to lighting. Everything I have came with the tanks. lol
Edit: Needs to be 30" long for my 30gal

A

Anonymous

CrazedAce said:
I would like LED, but is it worth it without having different light spectrums?
I started converting my tanks to LED primarily for energy efficiency & the smaller sleek designs.  Once you figure out the application your using the lighting for choosing the type is simple. No plants FW,  planted tank FW,  reef,  FOWLR, ect.

Also, there is modular LED fixtures on the market that allows you to change "spectrums" of LED lighting within one fixture.

CrazedAce said:
T5 sounds like it would be a good idea as well, but will that also cause algae growth?
If you want something comparable to your T8 fixture but want T5 for better efficiency perhaps choose a standard T5 & not T5HO . There is a difference.

CrazedAce said:
I really have no idea when it comes to lighting. Everything I have came with the tanks. lol
Edit: Needs to be 30" long for my 30gal
1st choose the application. You can find comparable lighting output to your T8 fixture with any  CFL, T5, T2, & LED. All you would be doing is reducing power consumption and getting a sleeker design the more modern you go.

If you need more help with any lighting let us know what type tank you have. Like above; fish only, planted FW, reef, FOWLER, ECT...

pbmax

I use coralife dual 30" T5HO fixtures over my 20g tanks and my 29g with 6700K bulbs.  They're the only company that makes 30" T5HO bulbs and fixtures - 31W each for a total of 62W.

But if you want the cheapest way to effectively light your planted aquarium and you don't care about aesthetics as much, consider 6500K CFL bulbs in 8" shop light reflectors.  The shop lights themselves are about $6 each and the bulbs aren't terribly expensive.  You could setup 3 lamps over a 30" tank with 23W bulbs for a total of 66W if you like, or go with 2 for 46W, or 3 13W bulbs for 39W.  Lowes sells sylvania brand 13W and 23W 6500K CFL bulbs in 2-packs (but nothing in between...).  I use their 13w bulbs over my 10g tanks - in perfecto incandescent fixtures indoors and shop lights in the garage.

The color is important - 6500K - 7000K is best for a planted tank.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
fishNAbowl said:
Also, there is modular LED fixtures on the market that allows you to change "spectrums" of LED lighting within one fixture.
Aqueon, actually advertises their set up for that purpose. I got a used fixture with a tank I purchased and it is nice but NOT designed for plants. It does have a nice colormax to add for fish only tanks. While it does have three slots for different spectrum's it just is not a high output fixture. And by the time you are done buying two extra tubes, your fixture will become outrageously expensive.

CrazedAce

So I bought a new bulb for my hood at Petco tonight, deciding that I would just do a simple fix on getting the lighting back. Unfortunately for me, the hood isn't working. I took it apart and tried to see if there were any indications of where it may be screwed up, but there was nothing. I even took the ballast apart and couldn't see/smell anything wrong. So now I am stuck having to replace it all anyways.

I like the idea of using the CFL bulbs, but I've tried this on my 10gal tanks before and it produced WAY too much algae. Not to mention the 10gal I've been battle black hair algae with was impossible to control. So it would be a chance I could take on my heavily planted tanks, but not on the Africans.

And I like the thought of LED but it seems too dim. Perhaps I am too picky in choosing what I want. Maybe I'll just buy another hood. :/

Anthony J.

I use 23 watt 6500k spiral cfls x2 on my avatar tank. At lowes they are $8 a 2 pack. But those are for growing plants. You could get a different spectrum if you don't have plants.

A

Anonymous

CrazedAce said:
So I bought a new bulb for my hood at Petco tonight, deciding that I would just do a simple fix on getting the lighting back. Unfortunately for me, the hood isn't working. I took it apart and tried to see if there were any indications of where it may be screwed up, but there was nothing. I even took the ballast apart and couldn't see/smell anything wrong. So now I am stuck having to replace it all anyways.

I like the idea of using the CFL bulbs, but I've tried this on my 10gal tanks before and it produced WAY too much algae. Not to mention the 10gal I've been battle black hair algae with was impossible to control. So it would be a chance I could take on my heavily planted tanks, but not on the Africans.

And I like the thought of LED but it seems too dim. Perhaps I am too picky in choosing what I want. Maybe I'll just buy another hood. :/
I totally understand what you mean by being "picky". There is nothing worse in spending $100's and not being satisfied. I spent months researching LED fixtures before starting to convert.

A

Anonymous

pbmax said:
I use coralife dual 30" T5HO fixtures over my 20g tanks and my 29g with 6700K bulbs.  They're the only company that makes 30" T5HO bulbs and fixtures - 31W each for a total of 62W.

The color is important - 6500K - 7000K is best for a planted tank.  
I also used a 30" duel T5HO (6,700K) on my 29 gallon before converting to FENNEX RAY2 LED, it worked real well!

CrazedAce

I used 2x 10w 600lumens CFL bulbs. They don't say what spectrum, nor can I even find them on the company's website. I got them at Walmart in the fish section. Basic screw in type.

Did some browsing on Amazon and found these two:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008K23JE4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F5M2JW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I'd love the FugeRay, but $80 is pretty pricey. The Coralife sounds good as well, but do all dual T5 need cooling fans? Seems like it would use quite a bit more power than the LED. So going with the FugeRay would be cheaper in the long run.

pbmax

The wrong spectrum can encourage algae growth, as I understand it. 20w of light over a 10g isn't all that much, but if it's very sparsely planted and your plants aren't getting the proper nutrients then they'll have trouble competing with algae.

My cleanest tank has 2x 13w Sylvania 6500K CFLs over it - zero algae growth on the plants that I can discern and I scrape the glass a couple of times a year.

I have 4 dual T5 fixtures, 3 of which are HO, and none of them require cooling fans. Maybe that one has a more compact design?

The thing I hate about LEDs is it's so hard to find useful information about how much light they put out. That said, I have the 12" fuge ray over my glosso terrarium and I got fantastic growth out of it.

CrazedAce

So I think I am still leaning towards using the Aqueon Modular LED 30" from kensfish.com. It has a couple expansion slots so I will at least be able to upgrade it if I'm not satisfied right away. But now the question is, should I get a glass top for the tank? I've never seen Africans jump out of water, but I guess that doesn't mean they don't do it.

Looks like I need to save up some money and do another order from Kens! Anyone need anything? lol

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Like I said before, I like the light but I dont think its enough for a planted tank.

Here was a Q & A from Petco and an answer from Aqueon itself.
http://www.petco.com/product/121139/Aqueon-Modular-LED-Aquarium-Lighting-System.aspx

"Is this lighting system good for live plants, even if you buy 2 additional "colormax" strips?
I have a 29 gallon and I plan on adding low-light plants like java fern, Anubius, and Amazon sword"

"Answers
Thank you for your question Firestarter. Yes these would be good for low to moderate light plants as long as you have all three tubes in them and they are not over the top of an extra high tank (exp 15 Xhigh or 30 Xhigh), your 29g should be fine."

So your $54.95 fixture will need two more $14.95 tubes to be good for low to moderate light plants... You are now at $84.95, which seems kind of pricey and at that price might as well look at better lighting. Just my opinion, but I have fish only tanks so.... not the greatest input there.

A

Anonymous

CrazedAce said:
So my 17w T8 24" light just blew out today, no surprise as I've had it forever. But I was wondering, what would be the ideal type of light to put on this tank for plant growth or fish color? I would prefer something not incredibly expensive, but something better than what I had! Any ideas?
I've become partial to the FENNEX product for LED's . My experience is limited to 3 different manufactures but this line seems to work the best for me. They have product for both MAX COLOR enhancement for fish, and MAX PLANT GROWTH. All my FENNEX LED fixtures are designed for optimum plant growth. My fish look pretty good as well.

LuminousAphid

Finnex makes really good LED's, and they're not really that expensive when you factor in the energy savings, ease of use, and overall better performance than my experience with flourescent. I get hardly any excess algae (I have a rubberlip so some algae is desirable) and plants are starting to grow great. Floating plants like my cupped salvinia are growing awesomely being so close to that pure 7000k goodness :)

I really like mine, and I would have never thought of spending over $100 on lighting for a fish tank a few months ago, but I decided to go for it to avoid buying bulbs and all the other hassles. Also, I can keep my tank almost entirely open and I like how it looks (although I have lost 3 tank members to escape, but I think it's worth it. I might make my own hood at some point, but I do like being able to see my salvinia and other floating plants.)

In conclusion, I have been happy with LED lights, so I would recommend them. Go with something you know will fill your needs though, like others have said if you buy the Aqueon lights you will just have to supplement with flouro anyway to keep your plants happy.

Finnex makes Ray 2 which is good for plants, and also Monster Ray which makes fish look amazing!