New Bristlenose (Ancistrus) Pleco Pattern

CrazedAce

Sorry I don't have pics uploaded yet, but I want to start this thread to encourage me to do so!

So to start off, I want to say that I've never seen this pattern on any of my plecos before. It has large almost square white spots, almost as if it was a white body with black stripes. The base of the eyes are white instead of black like my other common plecos. I am hoping that it will survive (It should since it won't fit in the goldfish's mouth) and that I can breed it to start a new strain! It's still only a few months old, so it will be about six more months before I can sex/breed it.

I will be adding pictures tonight when I am at home.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Being that it's been like years since this post started and still no pics, I say this is a New Years prank!

Or share your pics darn it!!!!

Ripples

It looks almost normal when next to its dad except that it is lighter, not as black, and the spots are really white!

Ripples

lloyd378 said:
Being that it's been like years since this post started and still no pics, I say this is a New Years prank!

Or share your pics darn it!!!!
MorganEA said:
hmm I think it must be a prank  :lol!: 
Years? lol
You must be going by fish years, not human, right? :p

The thread started at like 11:00AM today

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Ripples said:
It looks almost normal when next to its dad except that it is lighter, not as black, and the spots are really white!
Agreed!

Nick_87

Awesome pattern on that little  guy. Will be very interesting to see what it turns out like as an adult. The plecos I got from you are about 2" now so we shall see if I can get them breeding soon.

Ripples

Nick_87 said:
Awesome pattern on that little  guy. Will be very interesting to see what it turns out like as an adult. The plecos I got from you are about 2" now so we shall see if I can get them breeding soon.

They should start showing their gender in a couple more months when they reach 3-3 1/2"/. :)
Did you get one of our random mixed bags?

CrazedAce

Nick_87 said:
Yeah, I got 7 or 8 a while ago. I got them from crazedace.
Ripples is my wife. lol
We traded some plecos for the Metriaclima aurora. I'm pretty sure those were from my first male who died last year. This new guy I got from Portland is very prolific.

Ripples

Oh.....! Well those should be bigger than 2" by now.. All of their siblings are fully grown and have started spawning. What size of tank are you keeping them in?

CrazedAce

Not all have started spawning, but yes we found eggs in the community tank they were in. The albino male that was fanning barely had any bristles.

Still if anyone has seen this type of color/pattern let me know. I will definitely keep this thread updated with pics every month or two.