WTB Need leads on local tank builders

FishBeast

Anyone have leads on local tank builders (glass or acrylic)? Looking for 350 gallon or bigger that is competitively priced.

Online, I'm seeing $2500-$3000 range from Fish Tanks Direct and Custom Aquariums.

Where have you guys sourced your big tanks?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
My 300 came from www.customaquariums.com and it was expensive but I got exactly what I wanted. What can add to the cost is shipping but my total was high enough that shipping was free. I wanted a glass tank but at 350 gallons I think I would want to do acrylic. It took 8 guys to get my glass 300 in place!

FishBeast

My 300 came from www.customaquariums.com and it was expensive but I got exactly what I wanted. What can add to the cost is shipping but my total was high enough that shipping was free. I wanted a glass tank but at 350 gallons I think I would want to do acrylic. It took 8 guys to get my glass 300 in place!
I wish they still had the deal on the 300! I should've pulled the trigger when I had the chance.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I love the workmanship on my 3 custom aquarium tanks. Excellent silicone work and it is a nice thick black bead. I splurged and did low iron fronts on the two 65B’s. Also low iron on front and sides of the 300. I knew I wanted that after my last 210g, it was regular glass and you could see the green tint in it.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Madness just had his 180s built by a local guy. I’m sure he will jump in this thread in a few, but I know he said he was priced well for acrylic and I think the guy is building him a 450 too

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Looking for 350 gallon or bigger
Never asked, but what are you thinking of doing?

In my application I was kind of stuck with the dimensions I did. I love the 8 foot length but wish it were 30" wide vs the 24" and then 24" tall instead of the 30". I love the look of tall tanks but the maintenance is a bear. I wish I would of had a hole drilled for a fast drain, but this was a possible leak point so I didnt. Always wanted the ability to drain off water quickly.

Last edited:

sir_keith

Legendary Member
I'll be curious about the prices for these kinds of custom-made tanks. My fish room is completely full, but if I moved the two 55/40L racks shown in the pic, this space would be perfect for a standard 240. Would make a great setup for Cyathopharynx, which build crazy big sand nests. :)

IMG_0440.jpg

FishBeast

Never asked, but what are you thinking of doing?

In my application I was kind of stuck with the dimensions I did. I love the 8 foot length but wish it were 30" wide vs the 24" and then 24" tall instead of the 30". I love the look of tall tanks but the maintenance is a bear. I wish I would of had a hole drilled for a fast drain, but this was a possible leak point so I didnt. Always wanted the ability to drain off water quickly.
I want to move the polys and Datnoid to a bigger tank, maybe get some bigger dithers like bala or Apollo sharks and also more polys hahaha

I do plan on having a hole drilled for a drain about 3/4 down the back for quick water changes. I agree that more than 2 feet deep makes it hard to clean the bottom!

FishBeast

I'll be curious about the prices for these kinds of custom-made tanks. My fish room is completely full, but if I moved the two 55/40L racks shown in the pic, this space would be perfect for a standard 240. Would make a great setup for Cyathopharynx, which build crazy big sand nests. :)

View attachment 6905
I emailed them today! Will keep you guys posted on the quote. Looking at an 8’ x 3’ x 2’ deep

Madness

Staff member
I want to move the polys and Datnoid to a bigger tank, maybe get some bigger dithers like bala or Apollo sharks and also more polys hahaha

I do plan on having a hole drilled for a drain about 3/4 down the back for quick water changes. I agree that more than 2 feet deep makes it hard to clean the bottom!

I drilled one on everyone of mine about 5" down. Right now i just have the 4 180s but i can drain too that point and refill every other day and each time it takes maybe 20 minutes

So glad that i decided to do it. Then i just run the drain hose into my water drain pipe.