Need Ideas For Homemade Breeder Box!!

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I have ordered two floating breeder boxes and don't want to purchase any more cause I already have one. Problem is. I have fry in the one I currently have. I'm afraid two of my mom's are going to pop before I get the breeder boxes here. AHHH Help! Need some ideas for home made ones. For temporary housing until the floating ones get here in 5-8 business days lol

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Oh wow, I'd have to get ice cream, eat it and then buy all of the other stuff. Just for some platys that'll breed again. If I had rare fish I'd go for it but that's a little much. Thank you for the link though Betty! It's nice to have some input! :D

a girl just turned down an excuse to eat ice cream???, im amazed. just put some small holes (enough for water circulation and small enough for the adults not enter) in a plastic container and stick it to the side of your aquarium. like a tupaware you dont care about or a plastic deli meat container. and your good to go

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
My mom and I just went :shock:
316792.gif
:cheers: lol Just about literally! lol She buys hillshire farm lunch meat and save the containers that are like glad's containers. Thanks for the idea hobbyorobsession!!

Betty

Staff member
Right, any plastic container will work. That link was just for a general idea of how to make one. You can substitute the various items with things you probably have around the house.

I use plastic canvas for a lot of things fish related and that would probably work for a breeder box as well.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
We thought about plastic canvas but the stuff she has the babies could fall out easily. I'm not sure if our walmart would have any, I'll have to look. They got rid of all their fabrics so they don't have much craft wise any more. Closest thing is a 20 mins drive away :(

finsandfeathers

Don't remember the exact way the guy did it, but he took the "plastic embroidery rings" from walmart, ben franklin, etc... he then used the "tulle netting" from the fabric dept attached to the ring to make a sack in a sense. Then if I remember correctly he had attached to the tank with a suction cup. He had made a few of them for various fish.

Just another idea for you that is reasonable $$ to make.

Kianna

I just use small plastic strainers that I've gotten at the dollar store.

Heres a couple of examples

Just find one with small enough holes so that fry don't get out. The work good though as temporary holding/housing.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
That's an excellent idea Kianna!!! I like the corner style one you posted. I'll take a look at our dollar store. I was fashioning together a Tupperware container and going to poke holes in it but it's been used with food and makes me nervous. I'm sure it'd be fine I just am cautious about things like that. Thanks again everyone these are all great ideas. Maybe this post will help some others needing ideas as well.