Nanochromis Splendens

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I moved the male back in with the female and it is not going well. He immediately started attacking and then was patrolling the tank looking for her. Not sure if I will find a dead female if I leave them together or of he will settle down.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
I moved the male back in with the female and it is not going well. He immediately started attacking and then was patrolling the tank looking for her. Not sure if I will find a dead female if I leave them together or of he will settle down.
I wouldn't chance it. It looks to me like you need to give them more hiding places, shelter, and dithers to occupy their attention. If this were me I'd move the male out, do all of the above (Java moss!), put the other female back in, and let them settle down. Once that has happened you can add the male back- carefully!

I did mention that these were challenging fishes... :whistle

sir_keith

Legendary Member
...I will redo the tank so that there are more hides and try again...
That's really the key, but here are few other suggestions you might want to consider.

You need to break up the sight lines at substrate level, because the male will want everything in sight as his domain. If that's the whole tank, that's what he'll claim, but if it's just a corner, even a small one, he'll be content with that as long as he can't readily see the rest of the tank. That's why I suggested Java moss, as it's an effective sight barrier, and you really need a densely planted tank. The individual 'caves' don't need to be very big: Nanochromis like to be 'cozy,' and if the pair can fit into it, it's big enough; anything more is just wasted space. Shale is ideal, stacked in such a way that they can dig under it.

As indicated above, another component of their behavioral repertoire that you must satisfy is their need to dig. Your first substrate was not appropriate for these fishes, and even the second one is coarser that it should be. The digging is an important part of pair bond formation and maintenance, and serves to dissipate energy that might otherwise be channeled into aggression.

Finally, although a small tank like this one is fine for an established pair, getting them to pair up in such a limited space can be tricky, as you've discovered. Once you've dealt with the tank setup, I'd add both females, and once they've settled in, add the male, and keep a close eye on things. At the very least this will serve to spread the aggression around, and it may increase the likelihood of pair bond formation. With these fishes, that is the biggest challenge. Worst case analysis- you need to give them a bigger tank, perhaps something like a 33L or 40L. Good luck! :thumbsup

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
That's really the key, but here are few other suggestions you might want to consider.

You need to break up the sight lines at substrate level, because the male will want everything in sight as his domain. If that's the whole tank, that's what he'll claim, but if it's just a corner, even a small one, he'll be content with that as long as he can't readily see the rest of the tank. That's why I suggested Java moss, as it's an effective sight barrier, and you really need a densely planted tank. The individual 'caves' don't need to be very big: Nanochromis like to be 'cozy,' and if the pair can fit into it, it's big enough; anything more is just wasted space. Shale is ideal, stacked in such a way that they can dig under it.

As indicated above, another component of their behavioral repertoire that you must satisfy is their need to dig. Your first substrate was not appropriate for these fishes, and even the second one is coarser that it should be. The digging is an important part of pair bond formation and maintenance, and serves to dissipate energy that might otherwise be channeled into aggression.

Finally, although a small tank like this one is fine for an established pair, getting them to pair up in such a limited space can be tricky, as you've discovered. Once you've dealt with the tank setup, I'd add both females, and once they've settled in, add the male, and keep a close eye on things. At the very least this will serve to spread the aggression around, and it may increase the likelihood of pair bond formation. With these fishes, that is the biggest challenge. Worst case analysis- you need to give them a bigger tank, perhaps something like a 33L or 40L. Good luck! :thumbsup
Well, maybe the kribs will get downgraded then. The 55g might be a better option.

Last edited:

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Well, maybe the kribs will get downgraded then. The 55g might be a better option.
Oh yeah, the Nanochromis may be smaller fishes, but they need a bigger tank than Pelvicachromis, and a 55 would be great. I was able to keep two males and multiple females in a heavily planted 55 when I was breeding N. transvestitus. :thumbsup

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Oh yeah, the Nanochromis may be smaller fishes, but they need a bigger tank than Pelvicachromis, and a 55 would be great. I was able to keep two males and multiple females in a heavily planted 55 when I was breeding N. transvestitus. :thumbsup
I will be needing to get sand for the 55g as it has smaller gravel (3-4mm) but that will allow me to use that in another tank :cool:

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
So, a little bit of the cart before the horse but I needed to move the females out of the 29g aquarium. So, I moved them both into the 55g where the Cory cat's were. The gravel is not ideal for them. I added several small clay pots with .25in drain holes so the females fit but the male shouldn't. I will let them settle in for a couple weeks before moving the male. Or until I get around to rescaping with sand.PXL_20220209_034909853~2.jpg

sir_keith

Legendary Member
So, a little bit of the cart before the horse but I needed to move the females out of the 29g aquarium. So, I moved them both into the 55g where the Cory cat's were. The gravel is not ideal for them. I added several small clay pots with .25in drain holes so the females fit but the male shouldn't. I will let them settle in for a couple weeks before moving the male. Or until I get around to rescaping with sand.View attachment 11098
Sounds like a plan. BTW, the Crypts look awesome in that tank. :thumbsup

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Oh my, those girls are round! Best keep a close eye on things until you get some pair bonding, but after that spawning should come pretty quickly, especially in a tank like this one that is set up so well for them. How many splendens are in there?

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Oh my, those girls are round! Best keep a close eye on things until you get some pair bonding, but after that spawning should come pretty quickly, especially in a tank like this one that is set up so well for them. How many splendens are in there?
1m:2f

sir_keith

Legendary Member
That will probably work just fine in this tank, but keep an eye on them once a pair bond has formed, as sometimes the pair won't tolerate an 'extra' female.

That is going to be a super cool tank once you have a bunch of young ones growing out. No need to separate them from the parents if they're well-fed.