Nanochromis Splendens

dwarfpike

Nice to see more Westies on here. The TRUE African cichlids. :lol:

Though, from what I could see from the male's tail pattern, they look more like the hobby splendens and not the true splendens. But he was moving quick in the video making it hard to tell. The Wetspot did have the true ones in a few months back, imported by Oliver Lucanus so it's possible.

The tank looks beautiful!

Bob

I am also getting some Nanochromis transvestitus however they are not wild. Hopefully haven't lost too much color.

dwarfpike

Vicmacki said:
These are from the wetspot being advertised as wild so they better be.

Wetspot did have the true ones a while ago, the pic I was using to compare yours was from their stock as well. Maybe it was the video, I just couldn't see the two different tale patterns on the male in it.

I didn't mean for it to sound negative, N. splendens is kind of like Apistogramma viejita, Geophagus surinamensis, and Guianacara geayi ... names seen often in the trade (and usually used before the species were split into several in the case of the latter two) but are extremely rare to nonexistent in the trade. Both N. splendens and A. viejita have just recently been found, and it was huge news. G. surinamensis and G. geayi are still missing except in France (where people have gone to the remote area where they are found and collected them themselves).

Bob

Well thats great, i got N. splendens, A. viejita and G. geayi all from the wetspot. So i may not have what they say they are?

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
If like more videos please. Super cool little fish, and even though I keep the bigger guys, I'm always amazed to see them especially in cool planted tanks like you have!

dwarfpike

The N. spendens very well could be, a few months back Wetspot did get in the real thing. I only mentioned it since I couldn't see the dual tail pattern on the male. That could be just because of the video though. If the top half of the tail is black and yellow horizontal stripped while the bottom is vertical blue and red, given the timing ... it would be the real deal. And also a huge score, one of the rarest Westies out there.

I would seriously doubt the G. geayi though. There used to be just one species, but they have been divided up into several recently and most places just use the old name. True G. geayi come from a country that does not have/allow commercial fishing. I could give a crack at ID'ing it if you can get a pic. There are subtle differences based on the black on the dorsal fin, the body stripe, and the mid lateral spotting. Most are usually G. stergiosi or G. sphenozona.

I would bet every dollar I have saved up for a new car that will have AC in it that the A. viejita are A. macmasteri. A. viejita just came into Europe and caused an explosion since, as far as I know, it's the first time it's been available in the hobby before.

Bob

dwarfpike said:
I would bet every dollar I have saved up for a new car that will have AC in it that the A. viejita are A. macmasteri. A. viejita just came into Europe and caused an explosion since, as far as I know, it's the first time it's been available in the hobby before.

It looks like after a bit of research they do indeed sell their viejita red necks as macmasteri. Very disappointing since it appears they know it's a mistake but still do it.

I'll try and get more picks of the splendens, they are pretty skittish. I have two males and three females. One male has the pattern you describe on the tale and the other doesn't have much color.

I'll also get some pics of the geayi imposters.

Bob

Few shots i got during my water change.

P1030258_zpsrg7gdw0i.jpg

P1030257_zpsmndabp8z.jpg

This article http://www.reef2rainforest.com/2015/06/ ... splendens/ states there are no plants in their habitat. I find that amazing because these guys are always in the dwarf hair grass or the chain swords.

dwarfpike

Ah, now that is the pattern I was looking for. First of the two pics also shows black on the pelvic fin. So I would say it's the real deal. Sorry to have scared you, the video just didn't show that pattern so I thought I should mention it.