FishBeast

Hello! FishBeast here! I wanted to share photos of this interesting little catfish. They are also called Asian Moth Catfish, Asian Stone Catfish or Anchor Catfish. They are very peaceful and extremely shy (but seem bolder when in groups). They grow to about 1-1.5 inches and are perfect bottom dwellers for nano or shrimp tanks. They are tolerant of somewhat cooler temperatures although at the moment I have them in a 40 gallon tropical heavily planted community tank with Kuhli loaches, shrimp, some danios, a bristlenose pleco and a male Betta.

They have long first pectoral fin rays like banjo catfish. This makes them look like anchors when viewed from above!
All Photos - 1 of 2.jpg

Almost full size at under an inch!
All Photos - 1 of 19 (7).jpg

Very active if they are able to overcome their shyness.
All Photos - 1 of 19 (2).jpg

I used a cheapo clip on lens and tried to get some macro shots... The depth of field was so narrow that it was hard to get the whole fish in focus!
All Photos - 1 of 19.jpg

Close up of head! Cute little guy! The white pigmentation under the eye makes him look a bit demonic at first glance.
All Photos - 1 of 19 (18).jpg

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
@FishBeast - are you breeding and sellling these marvelous creatures?
You can't come in here and wave a cool fish in our faces without telling us where to get one!!!???

hahahahahahahaha

FishBeast

@FishBeast - are you breeding and sellling these marvelous creatures?
You can't come in here and wave a cool fish in our faces without telling us where to get one!!!???

hahahahahahahaha
I got these from a Place for Pets in Burien some time ago... I do know they can be bred in the aquarium. Maybe something I'll try one day! The successful breeding seemed to occur in an "Indian biotope" tank that was dimly lit with a bunch of leaf litter.

julzhull

I've seen these at Aquarium Co-Op before. They're cool little guys. They remind me a lot of my banjo catfish (I yearn for more of them but haven't been able to find them).

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I've seen these at Aquarium Co-Op before. They're cool little guys. They remind me a lot of my banjo catfish (I yearn for more of them but haven't been able to find them).

:D HOORAY. Good news for us. Maybe Cory will be able to get some more sometime...?