my wigglers survived, this time

nick_76

today they are starting to become free swimmers....theyre somewhere in between free swimmers and wigglers...not sure at what point I should move them out of the safety net and back with their parents....and oh, yea, this is all in a community tank...and while the rest of the fish aren't much of a threat (tetras and such) the possibility of getting lost in the tank is very real. these guys hatched on Tuesday. perhaps tomorrow I will move them to a QT....but I don't have that set up yet

nick_76

well...they survived till I moved everyone to a QT, then some died from the move, a very stressed out mom at the rest.....there were two very promising swimmers, but I think she ate them too eventually.
next time I think ill introduce them to the dad, I don't think hes ever eaten fry. ill probably put him in QT a day or so before I introduce the swimmers so hes less stressed.

oh well, she should be laying her next eggs in a few days

crazed ace- I have a mated pair of discus who drop eggs about every 6 days.
also have a pair of keyhole cichlids who laid eggs once, watched over them a few days but haven't done it again

nick_76

They bred again today. ill probably transfer the eggs to a breeders net Tuesday morning, and ill probably have wrigglers again by that afternoon.....so, my next experiment pairing them up will be sometime late next week. gonna have the QT set up a few days in advance, and move the parents and fry over a d couple days before their reunion....hopefully thatll minimize stress and minimize who gets eaten

Spyral

I know nothing of breeding Discus, but why are you bringing a parent to the QT? Can't you just put the wigglers in a QT until they grow out? Seems the best way to avoid parental snacking.

Anthraxx

yup the parents produce a "milk" via skin secretions that the fry feed off of. its really neat to watch especially when they swap turns and what not. imo its going to be a lot easier in a small tank with very little if any flow. once they lose those babies its hard to gather them all up. equally difficult is artificially raising them though formulas are available. i hope some of this helps (i honestly gave up on my discus after a cpl years of trying myself)