My two lemon oscars and friends

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
960F7B8B-A5D1-4ACA-9E6D-48CEA80AF945.jpeg 32F3980C-B4D8-4C85-9EA0-2E8D6B5BCCEE.jpeg 6785BC20-E195-4DAD-A068-68A15DB6C116.jpeg I’m still worried about my lemon oscars as their colors have changed from the yellow neon coloring to more of an orange . I know this is due to me feeding them color enhancing pellets that have ingredients in them to bring out : enhance the red coloring.

yesterday I started them back on Southern Delight growth pellets. They aren’t as happy with them as the color enhancing junk food, but it’s a better food so I hope they adjust to it quickly.
Pics are of my lemon and tiger lemon oscars and their friends ( standard red Oscar and standard red tiger Oscar

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Side note: pics are crappy as I took them from across my bedroom and tried to zoom in as they are never swimming together.

I’ll get better ones this weekend that are clearer

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
You make me want an Oscar(s) again! They are so cute when they are that little.

I think Lemons can be a challenge since they are very responsive to color enhancing foods. I think your on the right track switching out their food.

They do look good!

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
They are growing faster than the standards which is interesting to me too

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Update from just now ( Saturday) oscars have successfully transitioned to southern delight growth pellets.... took a whopping 1/2 day haha.
The pics definitely show how I messed up with the food as they have far too much red / orange coloring in them, but hopefully in a week they will return to a yellowish color.6D24DCD5-AFDA-477A-BC47-AD7E7FE9FF44.jpegF2C0B779-5C89-4B97-A479-F95B6A168D85.jpeg734CC4CC-E941-4369-9CDC-DD791E807DAE.jpeg

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I’ll get some lemon pics up in a few... i need to go take them.

growth has been crazy in the lemons as opposed to the two standards.

On a side note, I feel the lemon Oscar is looking more yellow but the tiger lemon Oscar may be some sort of lemony albino Oscar as the reds are still present just more muted and not going to a yellow color

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
The red has lessened for sure. They look good!

Thanks.... they are growing like crazy... probably outgrowing the Midas by a 1/4”....

the tiger lemon is still showing some oranges though so it’s a wait and see, but I do like the dark blotches right under his skin.

the largest lemon ( standard not tiger) has been claimed by my son.

I wonder if at some point he decides to change his tank to an Oscar tank

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I’m almost completely convinced that my two lemon oscars are actually one lemon Oscar and one Lutino tiger Oscar or luestic tiger Oscar ( not sure on formal name) .... they have doubled in size and are dwarfing the two standard oscars.

side note: I did notice one of the smaller Midas was getting picked on in the Midas tank so I moved him to my Oscar tank last week and they are all getting along famously ( well until they reach adulthood and then that Midas is going to destroy any and all)

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
And what kind of knife fish did you have?

I had a 20” knife that killed everything

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
It’s been a “minute” since I’ve updated these guys... they are living in my son’s bedroom 75g.... both are 6” at not at all lemon oscars!! You may notice a nibble out of each dorsal fin... that was a learning curve for the fish as when the “rona” closed down my classroom tank I had to put my sons old aquatic turtle somewhere, so they are cohabitating at the moment!2DA84D74-798C-4DF5-96B4-3763BDBEFFEF.jpegB271FF92-1A9C-4B12-B5D0-44FFA2589399.jpegEE4196C9-7062-422E-9904-416E39998C19.jpegD053B334-BABC-40D2-A181-387E5F66BE96.jpeg

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
And a side shot of my largest Midas growout... at roughly 5.5” -6” now ( just slightly smaller than the oscars) this guy is from the same batch as David’s !2A4F6DA5-623D-4A58-A2AB-B72C05E24CD1.jpeg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Very nice! The Oscars look like typical lutino red and tiger now. Would have been cool if they were yellow but still looking good.

Both of the larger midas I have in the 300 are looking female with very rounded bodies and no nuchal humps. Notice slower growth with a bunch of them in there. Probably truth to the theory that dominant fish release hormones that inhibits the growth in other fish. Yours looks very beefy with a nice big hump coming in.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Very nice! The Oscars look like typical lutino red and tiger now. Would have been cool if they were yellow but still looking good.

Both of the larger midas I have in the 300 are looking female with very rounded bodies and no nuchal humps. Notice slower growth with a bunch of them in there. Probably truth to the theory that dominant fish release hormones that inhibits the growth in other fish. Yours looks very beefy with a nice big hump coming in.
I told my son it won’t be long before he needs to decide what he’s keeping as that Midas will probably kill those oscars in about two to three more inches