My tanks march 2019

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Looking good @lloyd378

Any more picture updates on the Oscars?

Would love to see how the red and wild are looking that you got from me.
1d76600e-c765-484b-9cdb-f78afd102ec0-jpeg.5043

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, the fish guy down there is awesome, he will feed the fish in front of you to show you that they are eating, and just super honest and fair, I go to them for everything because of him, his name is Brendan.

Do you sell rtm fry?
I don’t yet, but once I get a pair and get them breeding, they will be pennies on the dollar. I’ll keep you updated

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Looking good @lloyd378

Any more picture updates on the Oscars?

Would love to see how the red and wild are looking that you got from me.
1d76600e-c765-484b-9cdb-f78afd102ec0-jpeg.5043
Boy do I have an update for you.... the red died ( my guess is that the wild caught stressed him out) you will remember that the wild caught got super aggressive once it got to my 210.

I then ended up giving him / her to a buddy. About two months later (last month) I went and picked up 3 large Oscars to keep the aggression down in my hoga tank. Basically, I know have two too many Oscars in their, but at least the hoga are behaving

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Boy do I have an update for you.... the red died ( my guess is that the wild caught stressed him out) you will remember that the wild caught got super aggressive once it got to my 210.

I then ended up giving him / her to a buddy. About two months later (last month) I went and picked up 3 large Oscars to keep the aggression down in my hoga tank. Basically, I know have two too many Oscars in their, but at least the hoga are behaving

I had problems with that little wild caught in the 300 too. It was flaring at the bichirs and attacking the het. It was not even afraid of the big pearsei. Hopefully the person who has it now has better success. Sorry to hear about the red. That was a good looking fish.

Ive always had a fondness for Oscars, I can see how easy it would be to get another... or three, lol

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I had problems with that little wild caught in the 300 too. It was flaring at the bichirs and attacking the het. It was not even afraid of the big pearsei. Hopefully the person who has it now has better success. Sorry to hear about the red. That was a good looking fish.

Ive always had a fondness for Oscars, I can see how easy it would be to get another... or three, lol
Exactly.... haha that little one got super fired up and just wouldn’t chill. So unusual for a. Oscar

But today I was cleaning the 210 and 1 of the red Oscars actually bit my knuckle and drew a little blood.... couldn’t believe it

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
My 9yr old keeps asking about getting an Oscar. How aggressive are they? I have a 90g with Bala sharks, syn and Cory cats, yolo loach, a silver dollar, and a Lg pleco.

Last edited:

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
My 9yr old keeps asking about getting an Oscar. How aggressive are they? I have a 90g with Bala sharks, syn and Cory cats, yolo loach, a silver dollar, and a LH pleco.
People say they can be aggressive but I truly believe 1 in 50 is actually aggressive. They are just big hungry cichlids so they appear aggressive when food is present.

If you get a small one, it would grow and the pecking order would be established with it being at the bottom...

But I will say that you have a very peaceful and passive tank so any Oscar could easily throw that off.

I keep large aggressive cichlids so that’s why I say they aren’t aggressive.

FishBeast

My 9yr old keeps asking about getting an Oscar. How aggressive are they? I have a 90g with Bala sharks, syn and Cory cats, yolo loach, a silver dollar, and a Lg pleco.
They are heavily built, big cichlids that produce a lot of waste. If you get one it will likely try to eat fish smaller than itself as it grows... and it will grow rather quickly. They certainly can be aggressive but not with the intent to kill. Mostly to eat and also to establish dominance. A single oscar is planty by itself in a 55 or 75. With tankmates in a 90, especially with a pleco that can get to 2 feet, you'll need to keep up with water changes.