~~~My Small Flowerhorn~~~

Wolf-Keeper1

BillsAquaSea said:
Wolf-Keeper1 said:
Hm.....what quality would you call my little flowerhorn? Just curious not being a smarta$$. Also when is the best time to try and sex mine? I honestly have tons of questions. I don't know much about these fish. It doesn't even look like that anymore lol wayyyyyyy more color.
As for quality its probably nearly grade A since it has most of its flowers, it was young and looked a bit washed out in those pics, but most often they get a strong red belly once they get a bit bigger and the pearls get brighter too. it all depends on how you care for it. you can buy a great looking fish and it could lose all its color in bad water, and you can buy one that looks like a runt and with the proper care it will still turn out grade A if it has the geneitics, so your fish is probably lookin great by now.

As for sexing them its very hard to be sure its a male when young but as for females just look for a dark spot in the upper dorsal fin and its usually 90% conclusive you have a female then, judging from your earlier pics its more likely to be male.

post a new pic and i could tell you more.
my computer is down right now but the moment it is back up you bet I'll get you a pic. Your info was most helpful thank you very much. Truley appreciated. And yeah it's color is wayyyyyyy more bright your dead on about the spots and belly especially when I stuck a 6 inch Texas cichlid in there my flowerhorn hit red tones I never seen it do before. Def an awesome fish. Actually probably my fav.

I'm going to pm you some more questions if you don't mind.

Fern

Very nice looking little guy!
Pay very good attention to them and mess about in their tank as often as you can, even if your just sticking you hand in and letting it sit there. Do that and hand feed them and you will have very personable fish that wont try to rip chunks out of your hand. Give them toys to play with, mine have pvc fittings and a floating beach shovel and some random pool toys, it keeps them occupied.
They eat darn near anything you throw in the tank, my guys love beetles and any fry that I need to cull!

BillsAquaSea, what would cause a fh to lose all of his black?