My new wild caught convict pictures (Here you go DMD)

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
They have been in my temporary tank since last night.  They have colored up a bit, but I anticipate them looking even better than they currently are. I will also mention that I do notice some differences in these as opposed to the store  bought one (circles on their sides between their lines for one). I have also noticed that they are every bit as aggressive as the store bought ones, maybe even more aggressive.

Here you go...... the male is the larger one

IMG_2102_zpsc2d4e7df.jpg

IMG_2101_zps72b60c60.jpg

IMG_2100_zps5834c8cf.jpg

IMG_2099_zps411c4d38.jpg

IMG_2098_zps88f99868.jpg

IMG_2096_zpsd1b3efb5.jpg

IMG_2095_zpsc394ff4b.jpg

w/o a flash with the male moving quickly......
IMG_2092_zps18b6dc43.jpg

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
exactly. i was hoping for really crisp lines. it is still early, so the spots could disappear into some deep crisp lines. they are also still pretty small (male maybe 2", female 1.5") the oranges and blues and yellows are really nice too.

A

Anonymous

Very cool I imagine that is only a fraction of the color that will come out, feed them mysis shrimp and blood worms I bet they will color out awesome.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
haha, discus, you read my mind. I gave them some blood worms tonight and will give them some shrimp this weekend. need to make sure they will eat my pellets before I give them treats more often.

A

Anonymous

:spoton: .oO I dig the WC Convicts. I was thinking about putting a couple in my future large tank plans.

Madness

Staff member
What paintguy said. lol

The colors at such a small size are awesome, those yellows are very nice. Now I wish I would have grabbed me a male.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Those WC cons are beautiful, lots of color. Thanks for sharing the pics.

anthony

I think all the extra color in the fins is what's going to stand out above the domestic ones! Looks like quite a bit of yellow in there . Nice!

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I'm really enjoying them so far!   And to think that I used to use convicts as dithers only, and now I have a pair as the center piece of one of my tanks.... My how time has changed me.

Chiisai

Let me know if you get some fry going. Would love to take a few fry off your hands. I mean... so your tank doesnt get too crowded :whistle

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
lloyd378 said:
I'm really enjoying them so far!   And two think that I used to use convicts as dithers only, and now I have a pair as the center piece of one of my tanks.... My how time has changed me.
Time will change a lot of people now that some F1 fry will be available soon....  :D 

Drd62

lloyd378 said:
They have been in my temporary tank since last night.  They have colored up a bit, but I anticipate them looking even better than they currently are. I will also mention that I do notice some differences in these as opposed to the store  bought one (circles on their sides between their lines for one).  I have also noticed that they are every bit as aggressive as the store bought ones, maybe even more aggressive.

Here you go...... the male is the larger one

IMG_2102_zpsc2d4e7df.jpg

IMG_2101_zps72b60c60.jpg

IMG_2100_zps5834c8cf.jpg

IMG_2099_zps411c4d38.jpg

IMG_2098_zps88f99868.jpg

IMG_2096_zpsd1b3efb5.jpg

IMG_2095_zpsc394ff4b.jpg

w/o a flash with the male moving quickly......
IMG_2092_zps18b6dc43.jpg

Looking good Lloyd. Cant wait to see them once they're established in your tanks and I bet the colors will pop even more.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
They're good little fish! They eat any pellet I out in the tank, and yesterday they started to clean up a small cave-like structure that I put in the tank. They can't possibly be thinking of spawning yet, they are far too small and been in my tank for less than a week

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Haha, Yes, they do tend to overpopulate! I'm guessing, but have no proof, that some people only keep convicts to breed them for feeders for their other cichlids! I know I would be tempted to if I had a pair of common hybridized fish store convicts in my possession....