Iniatial first day set up

qCKthPS.jpg

Second Week
417JgW7.jpg

Third Week
CjHEMJb.jpg

Betty

Staff member
Looks very nice! I wish I had a green thumb when it comes to aquatic plants.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I know been away for a little while. Will post update with pictures in the following weeks.. =)
PS. Hi @VickiK !!! :):)

Hey Mikey! What does the "Dutch" part of the set up mean / indicate? The thick left to thin right thing or plant choices?

It looks amazing.

I'm having a dickens of a time with the 20 Long. I have the same exact light on there that I have on the 30G and the 55G -- both very heavily planted - but the 20 long is a constant battle with black beard algae and the plants look like crap. There's a bulbitis (spelling?) in there that does pretty well -- but the black beard algae repeated claims old growth. Could the light be too strong in that short water depth? I dunno. I'm baffled.

Even the horrible stock light in the 13G column shrimp tank manages to keep some floating anubis and octopus grass going.... I'll post pics to illustrate because if you didn't post a pic IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!
LOL

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
forgive the hideously bad pic of the shrimp tank - so blurry and so much reflection of light.... but you get the point. lol

shown: 50 / 30 / shrimp

50_1.27.18.jpg 35_1.27.18.jpg shrimp disneyland 1.27.18.jpg

Mike16T

Dutch style is the type of style of setup. No rocks or wood (if there is, very.minimal)
The style is focused on the plants...
Hey Mikey! What does the "Dutch" part of the set up mean / indicate? The thick left to thin right thing or plant choices?

It looks amazing.

I'm having a dickens of a time with the 20 Long. I have the same exact light on there that I have on the 30G and the 55G -- both very heavily planted - but the 20 long is a constant battle with black beard algae and the plants look like crap. There's a bulbitis (spelling?) in there that does pretty well -- but the black beard algae repeated claims old growth. Could the light be too strong in that short water depth? I dunno. I'm baffled.

Even the horrible stock light in the 13G column shrimp tank manages to keep some floating anubis and octopus grass going.... I'll post pics to illustrate because if you didn't post a pic IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!
LOL

L190

@VickiK what kind of light is it? what is your lighting schedule like? what plants do you have in there and how does it look like crap? Pictures? your problem could be too much light since 20l are pretty shallow tanks.

Mike16T

Ahhh. I see.

Plant Master Mike - no wisdom for my 20 Long conundrum?

Initially though, tidy up some of the equipments..

I'm with Vic on this one. What does crap for you look like about your tank? What is really going on? Close up pictures of the plants would be great.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
@VickiK what kind of light is it? what is your lighting schedule like? what plants do you have in there and how does it look like crap? Pictures? your problem could be too much light since 20l are pretty shallow tanks.

I think you've got it spot on. It never occurred to me that I could have too much light. The tanks -- all of them -- are are on from 7am to 7pm. Thanks guys!

Mike16T

I think you've got it spot on. It never occurred to me that I could have too much light. The tanks -- all of them -- are are on from 7am to 7pm. Thanks guys!
For what type of plants? from what I see, those plants are low light to medium light type of plants. Are you running Co2 on any of them. 12 hours is a long photo period. My tank only runs for 8 hours and I have 4 hours gap of full dark between.

L190

My light are also on for 8 hours broken into two 4 hour interval. There is darkness in between the two intervals. This keeps algae at Bay.