my new congo puffer pics

Anthraxx

ive heard of people taking like a pantyhose/mesh netting and placing it over the clams. this way they can craft their own version of clams on the half shell, freeze em and then just pop em in when they need to feed. it can save you a little bit of money in the long run and you can add in your own favorite ingredients. also have you thought about catching your own crayfish? its a cheap fishing license and then you can just trap em in your local watershed. i know you may deal with local issues like pollution so its not the best idea just a thought. my buddy used to catch crays all day long in his little stream across the street. we mostly used them as fish bait tho. u guys are making me want one thats for sure, too bad i dont have room for a huge tank :)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I totally would do crays, just not sure of a place to get them.

Edit: Wanted to add that I am not talking of just going out and getting them without following the law or obtaining proper permit or license. I am talking of the legal harvesting of them including not transporting them alive. As stated before I am just looking for a raw form of the food and it can be dead. Just wanted to clarify that for any new members.

MorganEA

do you live near a creek? Start flipping over rocks and see if any swim out. They are pretty much everywhere in WA.

Anthraxx

yup snag a trap from sportco and bait it in any of your local rivers on a weekend. just let it soak for a day or so and just go out and empty it. im sure your puffer would appreciate it :)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Im not near any creek. I need to find a spot somewhere.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
While feeding my dragon puffers tonight some frozen krill, I witnessed my first bit of aggression toward each other.... I'd love to put a live crawfish in their to keep active and engaged in something other than themselves

Madness

Staff member
Remember these very important but stupid laws brought forth by this wonderfully stupid state of ours. :D

Failure to abide by these rules may result in one or more of the following forum actions, depending on severity: private lecture via PM, public lecture via post, deletion of post and / or thread, removal of offending user from Washington FishBox.  The last step is highly unlikely, but please try to respect the rules.

We actively encourage every member here on FishBox to enjoy the aquarium hobby within the confines of the law. :)

Laws covering aquatic animal and plant species can be broken into three categories.  The first is invasive species - possession, transportation, and sale of these animals and plants within the state of Washington or the United States are prohibited due to their propensity to cause ecological damage.  The second category is protected species - transportation and sale of these animals and plants are prohibited on the basis that they are threatened or endangered in the wild.  The third category is collection laws.

First and foremost: It is illegal to release aquarium animals or plants into the wild, period.  Don't do it, EVER.

Invasive / Pest Species

Animals

Collection Laws

The 2013 Fish Washington Sport Fishing Rules booklet: http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01500/wdfw01500.pdf

In the state of Washington it is illegal to transport live game fish without a permit.  This means that one can't harvest fish from waterways in Washington State and add them to an aquarium.  In addition, it's illegal to sell recreationally caught fish.

Scientific Collection Permits:  http://wdfw.wa.gov/licensing/scp

It's also illegal to collect fish from waters in Washington State for research or public display purposes without a permit.

Washington State Aquatic invasive Animal Species: http://wdfw.wa.gov/ais/wac.html  
Raw Law Text: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=220-12-090

This list covers all invasive aquatic species including vertebrates and invertebrates.  Any species listed under section 1 is prohibited by law meaning they cannot be kept, transported, bought, or sold.  Some common aquaria banned by this law: All crayfish (there are some very narrow exceptions here, read the law for details), snakeheads, piranhas, various carp, round goby, certain gars, rosy red (fathead) minnow.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
? Illegal ?!?  I am under the understanding that we do not allow this type of discussion, but illegal is a bit harsh.

But me saying I'd love to watch my puffers eat a live crawfish is opinion and not "illegal." Correct? First amendment and all.....

I will however, keep my thoughts to myself from now on  for this issue to make sure I'm setting a better example .

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Harvesting crayfish is not illegal. Nowhere was it mentioned they were going to be transported live, in fact I have even commented that I had been looking for raw frozen but could only find cooked frozen in store. My puffer does not need them alive but just needs a hard crunchy shell to munch on.  Thank you for the reminder, but I am clarifying my position and mentioning that neither other poster mentioned the transportation of live crays.

MorganEA

Anthraxx said:
thought about catching your own crayfish? its a cheap fishing license and then you can just trap em in your local watershed. i know you may deal with local issues like pollution so its not the best idea just a thought. my buddy used to catch crays all day long in his little stream across the street. we mostly used them as fish bait tho. u guys are making me want one thats for sure, too bad i dont have room for a huge tank :)
how is it illegal if he told him out right that he would need a fishing license?

Madness

Staff member
I retract, never saw the license part. How about I change the post above to "Remember these laws" :)

Madness

Staff member
DMD123 said:
I totally would do crays, just not sure of a place to get them.
MorganEA said:
do you live near a creek? Start flipping over rocks and see if any swim out. They are pretty much everywhere in WA.
Anthraxx said:
yup snag a trap from sportco and bait it in any of your local rivers on a weekend. just let it soak for a day or so and just go out and empty it. im sure your puffer would appreciate it :)
DMD123 said:
Im not near any creek. I need to find a spot somewhere.
lloyd378 said:
While feeding my dragon puffers tonight some frozen krill, I witnessed my first bit of aggression toward each other.... I'd love to put a live crawfish in their to keep active and engaged in something other than themselves

But to be honest the 5 posts prior to me posting that, all state putting crayfish in their tanks, and just going out and grabbing some from the river. So how about we read them all ourselves and you will understand why I posted what I did. :D

Not trying to cause anything, but if I am understanding it that way, then so are others and we want everyone here on the box to know what is right and what is wrong. :) Carry on

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I found a seafood mix in the frozen food area for like $4 and it had some really small squid/octopus in it. I fed Scruffy a few and he seemed to like it. Still not satisfying his need for crunch but another food he seemed to like. So I think a good addition to a puffers diet.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
DMD123 said:
I found a seafood mix in the frozen food area for like $4 and it had some really small squid/octopus in it. I fed Scruffy a few and he seemed to like it. Still not satisfying his need for crunch but another food he seemed to like. So I think a good addition to a puffers diet.
Oh that's a good idea. I know I've seen this mix at winco :)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
A lot of what is in there is cooked but I think the little octopus is raw. I use the rest to make an Asian soup.  :D 

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I may be splitting up my pair.... I watched the smaller one grab the larger one on the top of his head and shake the bigger one. They then both puffed up..... Maybe frozen octopus is the ticket to peace and tranquility

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The dragon is supposed to be one of the mellower puffs that will sometimes get along with others. I think at night when mine puffs, he is fighting his reflection. Sorry to hear they are not getting along.  :( 

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
So I am posting this as a bit of clarification about crayfish harvesting at this time.
http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01500/wdfw01500.pdf
Pg 8 of 138 states: "You do not need a license if you are fishing for common carp, crawfish, bullfrogs, smelt or to collect relic shells"

Here is where the clarification comes in, regarding native and invasive species.
http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/shellfish/statewide_rules.html
NATIVE SPECIES - "Min. size 3¼" from tip of rostrum (nose) to tip of tail. Daily limit 10 lbs in shell. All females with eggs or young attached must be immediately returned to the water unharmed. No Shellfish/Seaweed license is required. See Statewide gear rules."

NONNATIVE SPECIES - "Must be kept in a separate container. Must be dead before being removed from riparian area (immediate vicinity of water body). No daily limit, size, or sex restrictions. No Shellfish/Seaweed license is required. See Statewide gear rules."

"There is only one native crayfish species in Washington – the signal crayfish (Pacifastacus leniusculus). This species can be identified by its uniform brownish coloration, white or light coloration of the claw joint ,and the smooth surface of its carapace and claws compared to that of nonnative species. Native crayfish are the only crayfish that may be removed from the vicinity of the waterbody alive. If you cannot positively identify your catch as a nonnative species, the daily limit and other restrictions listed above for native crayfish apply."

Hope this clarifies the legality of harvesting crayfish.