my new congo puffer pics

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
All the cool fishkeepers have puffers! Hint, hint to all you non puffer owners  :whistle

Very nice pics, thanks for sharing discus_2013!

That is a HUGE tank for that little lurker. Do you plan on keeping him in there? They only need like a 40B...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
How are his eating habits? Has he taken to dead foods? Mine has no issue with taking shrimp or other meaty foods as long as he can see it drop. If it just sits he wont necessarily go after it. Earthworms and nightcrawlers seem to be one of his favorites.

discus_2013

Mine seems young only about 2.5 inches I think they get to 4 but I don't see much of a beak yet And I got him yesterday, the first day he didn't eat but he has snails in the tank that he hasn't touched, tried a cube of mysis shrimp... didn't touch, put in massive pellets, he nibbled at them, put in blood worm cube and he "hunts" them as they fall I am gonna put in a few guppies once I'm sure my water is stable and see he loves the blood worm though. I am trying to find some feeding tongs as I think he enjoys the hunt more than the food so I will be able to make the food more interactive.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I bought some feeding tongs but have only used them once when I was trying a new food. This type of puffer likely will not feed on snails. I would keep some baitworms in the fridge to have food on hand. You can get them at Walmart for a reasonable price and they keep in the fridge for a while. The wiggling worm should make the Congo happy.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Thankfully these types dont have as much beak issues. I feed shrimp in shell and have been on the search for crayfish. Dont need them live but all I can find is cooked frozen. I want raw frozen. I have used some crab in shell for mine to munch on and he just tears into it. My puff eats everything as long as he can see it fall. The only thing he eats without it falling is frozen krill. I dont know why but puffers seem to love it, but according to some sites they claim a diet high in krill can cause lockjaw in puffers. I feed it, but only like once a month.

As to feeding it really is recommended to feed every two to three days. This is usually based on feeding till belly is a bit distended and then letting him work it off. I have been feeding much smaller amounts about every day and a half to have a bit more interaction with my puff. Just be careful not to overfeed. They do puke it up sometimes.

I went with a Hairy puffer because they tend not to bury themselves and are out in the open more. But I could have bought two Congos for what I paid for mine.

Not a high traffic site but some knowledgeable folks on here: http://www.thepufferforum.com
The PufferPedia has good basic info.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Here is a post I recently did about mine: http://www.wafishbox.com/t10397-scruffy-says-hi

KaraWolf

I don't think you can get crayfish frozen raw only live or frozen at least boiled something to do with a toxin they release when they die if not cooked right away. Don't remember exactly what but we were looking into getting them when we got back from the south and didn't have much luck unless we wanted to buy live.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Ive read that it takes about three month for the crays to go bad in a frozen state. I have also not seen any place selling live due to Washington State laws. I heard rumor of Pike Place Market having them live but I am not in that area and not sure if rumor is true.

I have thought about getting a trap since they are cheap but not sure where to go to set it up undisturbed. Everything is so high traveled, Im afraid the trap would be stolen if left anywhere without being right next to it.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Hikari clams on the half shell do well at keep the beaks trimmed. They wear their teeth down while scraping the meat off, Once big enough they just chomp through it.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I bought live clams from Albertsons on sale but I end up popping them out to feed. I might just have to try to half them and try that out myself. But I had forgot about that option.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
So discus_2013 I have to say that is one spoiled little puffer in a big tank! I have been thinking since Ive had such a difficult time trying to find a good occupant for my 72g bowfront that I might consider turning into an awesome puffer tank. Dont tell anyone but it might actually include some live plants.

But like I said its being thought about... not sure just yet!

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Muahah, slowly converting people from SA to planted tanks via puffers! All part of my plan.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, yeah, puffers rule and cichlids drool!  :joker: 

discus_2013

To be honest I really had no interest in puffer but my aro got to big and my wife wanted it, I really want black calvus, but the puffer has grown on me it has some personality for sure.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Puffers have a ton of personality. Im glad I took the plunge and got one.