My new community tank idea

Madness

Staff member
How many of you are fascinated with loaches?

I know that I am. Just like with Loricarides and Bichirs, I believe its not just the different look but the way they live and interact that catches my attention. So I will be starting my 180 gal Loach tank here soon, but this wont be just any loach tank, this is going to be an aggressive loach tank. :twisted: :twisted:

There are 2 distinct genus of loach that fall into this category and they are the Syncrossus genus and the Yasuhikotakia genus. I have done mounds of reading and found a great article on just what I want to do. Here are some Google images of just some of what will be in this tank.

Any of you have something similar?

Attachments

• image_medium (5).jpg
    image_medium (5).jpg
    62 KB · Views: 81
  • image_preview.jpg
    image_preview.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 81
  • image_medium (6).jpg
    image_medium (6).jpg
    81 KB · Views: 81
  • image_medium (2).jpg
    image_medium (2).jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 81
  • image_medium (3).jpg
    image_medium (3).jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 81
  • image_medium (1).jpg
    image_medium (1).jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 81
  • image_medium (4).jpg
    image_medium (4).jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 80

L190

wow, I wanted to this a long time ago when I first got into the hobby but I never had a big enough tank to do it. The blue ones were my favorite. I would love to see a video of the tank when you have it all set up

flamechica

Can't wait to see a video when you get it going. I love loaches, but don't have big enough tanks for most kinds.

Madness

Staff member
L190 said:
wow, I wanted to this a long time ago when I first got into the hobby but I never had a big enough tank to do it. The blue ones were my favorite. I would love to see a video of the tank when you have it all set up

Oh I will definitely get these guys on video. At this time I can only find the Yasuhikotakia modesta, and the Syncrossus berdmorei. So collecting these may pose a bit of a challenge.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I don't like the idea at all..... Only because I know you will never be willing to downsize these/ sell me any. Haha

Madness

Staff member
LOL true that Lloyd. Another reason I love this idea is because loaches live for quite some time, and they wont outgrow the tank within a year or 2.

Betty

Staff member
Looking forward to this -- another tank that I'll be envious of.

Years ago I kept a few Y. morleti. The were very aggressive and had no problems living with African cichlids when I started keeping them. They were always zipping around the tank at feeding time making a loud clicking sound. I had no idea they did that! A fun fish to sit and watch. (and listen to) :)

A couple of old pics.

skunk.jpg

morleti.jpg

Madness

Staff member
Very nice looking fish Betty, that is the exact reason why I want to really do this tank. It's still a ways out, but definitely in the plans for this summer