My nano 7g

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
hey, I've been keeping a little secret tank in my kids bathroom for the last 1.5 years . It has a nice peach and blue colored betta and an albino long finned pleco in it too. I've tried other fish but the betta gets too territorial in that small of a tank.

This morning I moved the betta into my bedroom 75 with the clown loaches / Cory cats and now would like to retry my hand at shrimp.

I bought some from Tanya a fees years back but I over filtered the tank and they got sucked up....so the question is, best places to get cheaper shrimp? Also maybe give me some info on pros and cons of shrimp and can I keep any micro fish with them?

All advice greatly appreciated

Loren

I don't know anyone that sells shrimp down by where you live. However, there is a guy that has a 100 gallon tank with just RCS and neon tetras in west Seattle. I have bought some from him twice and his prices are very reasonable. The last time I bought from him I got a mixture of some 20 or so juveniles to adults for $30. His aquarium has been running for years and is really cool to see because it is completely filled with java moss, java fern and RCS. I almost cried when he told me that he had too much java moss so he took out a bucket full and threw it in the trash. I would think that most small middle swimming fish would be safe with them.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know anyone that sells shrimp down by where you live. However, there is a guy that has a 100 gallon tank with just RCS and neon tetras in west Seattle. I have bought some from him twice and his prices are very reasonable. The last time I bought from him I got a mixture of some 20 or so juveniles to adults for $30. His aquarium has been running for years and is really cool to see because it is completely filled with java moss, java fern and RCS. I almost cried when he told me that he had too much java moss so he took out a bucket full and threw it in the trash. I would think that most small middle swimming fish would be safe with them.
Thanks for the info!

How did your shrimp do that you got from him?

pbmax

Any fish that can fit shrimp babies in their mouths will most likely eat them, apart from corys and plecos and the like. Some smaller fish are nasty enough to even tear adult shrimp apart :( It really depends on the personality of the fish involved. I safely keep shrimp with corys and that's about it. I have some that survive in my community tanks, but they don't thrive.

Tiny fish like the various boraras species would probably work. Even neons and h. formosa will eat shrimp on occasion.

Neocaridina are the hardiest and thrive in a wide range of water conditions - RCS are a prefect place to start.

I used to sell a wide variety of shrimp... but for various reasons all I have available now are chocolates (Neocaridina). I have a ton of them, but they've been very picky acclimating to other folks' tanks for some strange reason (very unlike neocaridina). :( They are gorgeous shrimp and throw all the colors of the rainbow (except green and yellow, it seems) - black, brown, blue, red, orange, even some rili-like color patterns (I see carbon rilis from time to time). I'm not too far from you, down in Oly. If you're willing to give them a shot I could set you up with some, see if they take, and you can pay me later if they do. I need to offload some platies at Aquarium Paradise sometime soon anyway - that might be a good palace to meet.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Any fish that can fit shrimp babies in their mouths will most likely eat them, apart from corys and plecos and the like. Some smaller fish are nasty enough to even tear adult shrimp apart :( It really depends on the personality of the fish involved. I safely keep shrimp with corys and that's about it. I have some that survive in my community tanks, but they don't thrive.

Tiny fish like the various boraras species would probably work. Even neons and h. formosa will eat shrimp on occasion.

Neocaridina are the hardiest and thrive in a wide range of water conditions - RCS are a prefect place to start.

I used to sell a wide variety of shrimp... but for various reasons all I have available now are chocolates (Neocaridina). I have a ton of them, but they've been very picky acclimating to other folks' tanks for some strange reason (very unlike neocaridina). :( They are gorgeous shrimp and throw all the colors of the rainbow (except green and yellow, it seems) - black, brown, blue, red, orange, even some rili-like color patterns (I see carbon rilis from time to time). I'm not too far from you, down in Oly. If you're willing to give them a shot I could set you up with some, see if they take, and you can pay me later if they do. I need to offload some platies at Aquarium Paradise sometime soon anyway - that might be a good palace to meet.
Sounds great! I think I'll start with just shrimp and the pleco in the tank and keep my fingers crossed for a thriving set up!

What other fish are you currently keeping in your other tanks?

pbmax

I keep mostly platies (panda, neon yellow, blue), panda corys, and a few kribs (p. pulcher). I'd wanted to get another cory species at some point, but life has been to busy. :( I've been working on reducing the number of tanks I have these days... I'm down to 8 from a peak of 12 (all 29g and smaller) and I hope to get rid of another tank or two in the not too distant future.

My panda corys are still breeding well for me, at least they were the last time I checked. :) I have blue velvet shrimp as well, but my population is pretty depleted of late. I can find a few malawa here and there in one of my community tanks as well.

julzhull

You could try some Norman Lampeye Killis. I have some in my 7 gallon nano and they're doing fairly well. They tend to stay in the top third of the tank. I haven't had good luck with my shrimp yet but I think that has to do with a faulty heater and low pH. Working on that before I get more shrimp.

pbmax

You could try some Norman Lampeye Killis. I have some in my 7 gallon nano and they're doing fairly well. They tend to stay in the top third of the tank.

Those would probably be fine with adult shrimp, but I'd still worry about babies. This isn't a problem if you don't care about breeding, I suppose.