My first real cichlid

LuminousAphid

I got this guy at petsmart with 2 others when they were about 1/4 inch, the others didn't survive but this one seems to be doing very well. Starting to color up in the fins a little, I have no idea how to tell male/female so if anyone has any idea let me know.

[flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/qVKWMeEAV4o" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true[/flash]

Madness

Staff member
looks like you have a male Convict there. Females will have a bright orange belly

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Looks to be doing OK in your community setting. Cons can be pound for pound some mean little fish if they want to. As to sex usually females develop orange on their bellies, males will sometime develop the nuchal hump and have really long trailers on their fins. Those are very general things to look for.

LuminousAphid

yeah he bullies my little stunted angels a little, but mainly just looks around for food all the time. I am thinking I will need to clear out at least my other 20 for him soon, or maybe upgrade to a 40 breeder next time they are on sale.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
A 20L or 29g would be a bit better footprint but a 40B would give him lots of room. Lloyd recently got a monster con with a big hump. Pretty impressive little mini monster, looks like a small midas!

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
LuminousAphid said:
yeah he bullies my little stunted angels a little, but mainly just looks around for food all the time. I am thinking I will need to clear out at least my other 20 for him soon, or maybe upgrade to a 40 breeder next time they are on sale.
I can do you one better.... I have basically a 40 breeder (4" longer and a bit taller for sale) ..... $50 and it's yours ( it's a 68g or 40"x18"x22"). Just an option.   It would be perfect for a monster con and a few ladies.....

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Very excited little con in the video. Must want food.

LuminousAphid

He's so pretty :D

nf7gjfz.jpg

What do you think, definitely male?

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
He's looking great! Love the hint of maroon in his tail and fins! I'm also happy to hear that you've kept him. theres nothing better than the new world cichlids when it comes to wet pets

LuminousAphid

He's starting to dig out any plants I put in his area of the tank, so that's getting annoying, but it presents a new challenge. I figured there would be issues with plants at some point.

Also he ate 7-8 of my neons before I realized his mouth was that big, but that's no biggie. I was naive to think that would work for long. The 5 remaining that were quick enough to escape have been moved, and he hasn't bothered the angels much that I can see... no fin damage or anything. He just chases them out of his area and tends to eat all the food if they are not quick.