my 90 gal fowlr project begins!

nick_76

started by a good cleaning and ripping out the overflow. I hate the stands that AGA puts out...theyre just poorly made over priced garbage but with round tanks its not like I have options...tomorrow I think ill sand and this weekend paint to at least make this presentable

working out the best way to plumb a pair o' eheim canisters in here...Id like to make the intakes come up through the old sump drain & return holes
gotta scrape the remaining black silicone remnants from where the overflow was and get a heater and im almost in business...hope to start cycling next week

and no, this isn't the final location of this tank, itll be moved up to seattle once I have everything configured just right..

img_2020.jpg

nick_76

just became a second discus tank. the FOWLR has been postponed/potentially cancelled. we have some fish thatll grow out too large for the 80 gal reef, but we have some time to figure out what to do about that. the fowlr may end up being between 150-200 if the right tank can be found

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Cool tank! I know what you mean about the stands. The one that came with my 210 was pretty bad. I ended up adding 2x4's inside and added some plywood to the top, bottom and back. I then put some trim and painted. You cant even tell its a cheap stand anymore. Look forward to more pics as you set up.

nick_76

well, I wish I still had a garage/workshop where I could at least sand/stain/ varnish the thing to a proper shine...but no, I don't...so im gonna have to live with the black spraypaint or whatever they used

moved the couch out from behind the tank since its now staying in federal way. hope to put water in it tomorrow....cant wait cuz the plants in the 75 have gone crazy so I can split them between the two tanks

my plan is to keep the more feisty discus in the 75 (at the moment, that would be my mated pair who seem to be dropping eggs like mad) the more calm discus - currently the other three who are being constantly chased and harried by the aforementioned pair- will go to the larger, new tank...

ill post pics once im up

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I used spray paint. Rust-Oleum satin black comes out really good. It has held up well for a couple years now.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I know, the satin gives a much richer look than the shiny stuff they use. It helps hide the imperfections of the cheap pine.