My 125gal American cichlid tank **updated picture**

A

Anonymous

Thanks donna. Still looking for more plants that cichlids cant mangle much. And still waiting for this coming Thursday to pick up some frys from shawn aka madness.

A

Anonymous

Re: plants; I've done best with large leafed ferns and large leafed Anubias species with large type cichlids.  Whenever I get the opportunity to set up a 3-4 hundred gallon to house Bass, catfish, and pike this is what I'll use to plant large woOds. Plants that are delicate end up getting ripped apart over time by fish thrashing through them.

CMooreCichlids

I've had great success with Amazon Swords in large cichlid tanks.

My pike tank had half a dozen or more foot tall swords. The trick is to plant them closer to hardscape areas, or use larger river rocks to lay around the plants in a protective ring. I used them like a teepee structure to guard my swords, and the pike or catfish never bothered them.

4 crenicichla lenticulata 12"+ and an achara catfish (Leiarius marmoratus) that was pushing 16"

A

Anonymous

Sorry meant to put positive not negative rep.
Fat finger and very small buttons on phone screen.

A

Anonymous

Have frys right now to grow out and CHOOSE WHICH TO KEEP once full grown and colorful..
125gal American cichlid tank. 6ft long.
Equipment= 3 canister filters, 1 sponge filter, uv sterilizer, timed 48in t5 6500k lighting, timed 48in t8 blue actinic lighting (stimulate blue sunrise and dusk), 700gph wavemaker to circulate tank water, white silicia sand substrate,  and tons of driftwoods in middle till they stop floating. Lol.
Fish- 2 electric blue cara frys, 2 rainbow cichlids fry, 2 fire mouth frys, 2 green terror frys, 2 clown loaches, 2 festivums, 2 Synodontis eupterus, and common pleco. Right now to grow out and choose which I like to keep.  
Plants= 1 fake plant and various Anubia plants.
screen15.jpg

A

Anonymous

Thanks sonicDC25. Cant wait for the cichlids to grow to pick out which are compatible with each other and are colorful. Right now I do believe I have some that dont work out when they all get big but for now. Its just to fill the emptiness. Came from african cichlids being overcrowded to American cichlids being a few to determine what works out in the tank. Alot of learning for the American cichlid side.

A

Anonymous

I do miss my african cichlids but I know where to visit to see them. Denizaari's house.

Denizaari

They all seem to still be happy. The fry are starting to develop their stripes. I can't wait till I can introduce them to the rest of the tribe. Won't be for 6-12 months. You're more than welcome to come over anytime you want. Just don't bring any fish stuff, the wife might ban you from my house!!! LOL.

A

Anonymous

Hey. American cichlid keepers.
Is this list of cichlids good? I mean compatible.
Fish- 2 electric blue cara frys, 2 rainbow cichlids fry, 2 fire mouth frys, 2 green terror frys, 2 clown loaches, 2 black convict (mating pair), 2 calico convict frys and common pleco.

A

Anonymous

SiRWesDragon said:
Hey. American cichlid keepers.
Is this list of cichlids good? I mean compatible.
Fish- 2 electric blue cara frys, 2 rainbow cichlids fry, 2 fire mouth frys, 2 green terror frys, 2 clown loaches, 2 black convict (mating pair), 2 calico convict frys and common pleco.
**DING DING DING**

:shock: .oO LETS GET READY TO RUUUUMMMMBBBBLLLLE!  :ibox: 

I think you gotta good start with introducing the fish small. Breeding Con's can get funky though and may terrorize the tank if they spawn. You may get lucky and have them keep to their own if their territory is at the far end of the tank. But the odds are they may push all other occupants to the last 10% of the tank...... or worse. 

You've done your research about adding cichlids small but this is no guarantee . Your cichlids are on the medium/low side of aggression so your odds are a bit better. But Convicts seem to me a passive aggressive critter with horrible aggression traits during a spawn.

A

Anonymous

They are spawning and territorial to only the left side of tank where the sponge filter is at. Great place to spawn I guess. I wont let the black convict fry get big. No buddy wants them (fish stores for credit)! I'll remove parents when fry are snack size for the rest of group.

A

Anonymous

fishNAbowl said:
**DING DING DING**

:shock: .oO LETS GET READY TO RUUUUMMMMBBBBLLLLE!  :ibox: 

I think you gotta good start with introducing the fish small. Breeding Con's can get funky though and may terrorize the tank if they spawn. You may get lucky and have them keep to their own if their territory is at the far end of the tank. But the odds are they may push all other occupants to the last 10% of the tank...... or worse. 

You've done your research about adding cichlids small but this is no guarantee . Your cichlids are on the medium/low side of aggression so your odds are a bit better. But Convicts seem to me a passive aggressive critter with horrible aggression traits during a spawn.
Starting small was madness and you fishbox. The choices of cichlids were partial fishbox and Google.

A

Anonymous

Have frys right now to grow out and CHOOSE WHICH TO KEEP once full grown and colorful..
125gal American cichlid tank. 6ft long.
Equipment= 3 canister filters, 1 sponge filter, uv sterilizer, timed 48in t5 6500k lighting, timed 48in t8 blue actinic lighting (stimulate blue sunrise and dusk), 700gph wavemaker to circulate tank water, white silicia sand substrate,  and tons of driftwoods in middle till they stop floating. Lol.
Fish- 2 electric blue cara frys, 2 rainbow cichlids fry, 2 fire mouth frys, 2 green terror frys, 2 clown loaches, 2 festivums, 2 Synodontis eupterus, and common pleco. Right now to grow out and choose which I like to keep.  
Plants= 1 fake plant and various Anubia plants.

A

Anonymous

Updated picture. All real plants except the tall one. 3 canister filters on. One has purigen pack. Looking clear?
13944610.jpg