Mr. Clean Magic Eraser

Sleeves

So I have heard that you can use the original magic eraser to clean algae off the glass from inside the aquarium as well as filters.

Has anyone else heard of this or actually do this?

I wonder if its actually fish safe.

Thanks

hose91

Absolutely! Been using them weekly for at least 3 years now. They work like a champ on both glass and acrylic tanks. Just gotta be careful to buy the original, as the other variants have soap or other chemicals in them. They make really short work of anything on the glass inside the tank.

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi All,

For glass tanks only, I use Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (original) to clean the inside glass. It is excellent at removing spot algae as well as dust algae. Once you have tried it and if you like it you can head over to Ebay and purchase "Melamine Cleaning Foam" for a fraction of the price of Mr Clean.

s-l225.jpg

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Hi All,

For glass tanks only, I use Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (original) to clean the inside glass. It is excellent at removing spot algae as well as dust algae. Once you have tried it and if you like it you can head over to Ebay and purchase "Melamine Cleaning Foam" for a fraction of the price of Mr Clean.

s-l225.jpg

Is there a problem with using them with acrylic tanks?

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi Cory,

Malamine cleaning pads work sort of like a very, very fine grit sandpaper; it doesn't seem to effect a hard surface like glass but it will no doubt leave 'mini scratches' in acrylic. The scratches may not be visible when there is water in the tank but would likely looks like a 'haze' on the plastic in an empty tank.

Last edited:

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the response Roy. I looked into it just now, and I now understand why it isn't recommend for acrylic tanks.

hose91

Roy is totally right in theory, but in practice I've been using them on both of my acrylic tanks for years (75 and 100g), without any issues. It's possible that when I drain the tanks they'll be cloudy, I suppose, and neither tank is really in pristine condition to begin with, but they work for me and I haven't noticed any degraded conditions due to the melamine pads.