Moving Bed Filter?

Just saw this video on how to quickly make a moving bed filter, and seems like it's legit. Just wanted to run this with you all, and see what you all think about it. Hmmm...
This interesting concept, has it so that any weak BB, gets taken off, only leaving the strongest of the BB in the filter, which drastically improves with eliminating ammonia... or something like that. Check out the video, I'd like to further discuss this :)

[flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/dIoOfgZnqFo" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true[/flash]

Here's another neat video on how to make one real easily.

[flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/K1Wodw8n71Q" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true[/flash]

Wondering if I should try this out, and what kind of bottle would work best, and what type of bio media I should use.. hrmmmm.... decisions, decisions.

BillHN, yeah totally. The bigger the bottle, the better. Imagine, using like...a 2 gallon soda botle. LOL... I want to get some of that bio-motion media filter stuff. They look cool when they're jiggling around in the bottle. Hahaha!!

adamXatomic

PokeSephiroth said:
BillHN, yeah totally. The bigger the bottle, the better. Imagine, using like...a 2 gallon soda botle. LOL... I want to get some of that bio-motion media filter stuff. They look cool when they're jiggling around in the bottle. Hahaha!!
The guy in the video (Richard) really knows his stuff. He owns his own aquarium store and installs ponds.

Anyways, I started off just using straws cut into 1/2" lengths. They don't move as much when they are not matured. But after the bacteria grow on them you will get better movement out of them.
Or you could go the expensive route and use Kaldnes K1 media like most people do. But it takes about 1 liter of K1 per 10gal of water.

As far as bottles, I would get something from the container store.

I was thinking of getting the bio-motion stuff, since it's a lot more pourus than the K1 media... We'll see :)

Thanks for the info!