Movin

Billiethekid

So I will Be movin from Silverdale to Shoreline area here in a couple months and i was wondering what is the best way to transport fish tht distance??

larry.beck

A 5g bucket , half to two thirds full of water should do the trick. Be sure to have lids on them. :)

Of course that's assuming you don't have monster fish.

Ashley

I would get a battery powered air pump/air stone and a heater at least. Or get an adapter that plugs into your cigarette lighter. To be safe with my fish I would even hook up a filter but they will probably do just fine with a heater and air stone

Ashley

Yeah, they would probably survive in just the bucket. But if it were my fish I would rather be safe than sorry!

ledieudufromage

I saw an interesting item in the airstone category of a catalog. It didn't have any spot for a tube to enter into it and the description said nothing about an air pump, but it said that it released oxygen for an extended period (a week or a month, I'm not sure, but longer than the drive would be). I can't find it on the stores website, but when I find the catalog I'll post the brand name.

Betty

Staff member
Coolers work well too. I've moved many times using coolers. I would hold back on food the day prior to the move, so they aren't pooping a lot after you get them into whichever container you use to transport them and be sure to keep your filter media wet to save as much of your good bacteria as you can.

icer711

i would try and make them the last or the very first thing to move if possible and have a spot picked out where you want them to go... as said before 5gl buckets with lids work great that's how i move most of my fish when getting new and such... if you don't know where its going right away spend a couple bucks now on a air driven sponge filter and get i running to establish the bacteria that way it will give you extra time while moving or you can have them in a storage tote while figure out where they need to go with out worrying about them, in my personal experience t never goes as easily as i plan for it to, last time i move them (150 miles) the tank went while they were left behind in the bucket (remembered about halfway there) and i wasn't coming up permanently for at least another week after i got back, needles to say there were some that made it and i still have a couple of them