Mold in Aqueon WC tubing?

SonicsDC25

So, for the first time ever I noticed mold inside the tubing for my Aqueon water changer. It's now fall/winter, so there isn't much sunlight to where I can lay it out to dry since it's mainly rainy/cloudy here. How does everyone go about drying their tubing that hooks up to their water changer and the sink? Just finished the WC for my 140g the old fashion way, 5 gallon bucket.. lol

I figure you could just run really hot water through the hose... connect the hose to your sink, like you would with any water change ritual, but just run hot water through the tubing. That should kill off any mold :)

anthony

I have the same water changer for about 4 years mine turned black 2 years ago. not all of the tubing but 1/2 of it. after the tank is full I turn it back to vacuum and lift it above my head as I wind it up and walk to the sink. This pushes all the water out to the last part that is still attached to the sink so when you put it away water isn't trapped in it. I have not had any affect from the black tubing. Sometimes during a fill up a chunk of the black stuff will go in the fish tank and the fish will mistake it for flake food but they spit it out. I got mine used so I never tried to get every drop of moisture out. Maybe you could use your girlfriend's hair drier but don't tell her. So I guess my 1st answer is... Mine is black and ugly also but it still works great!!!!!!!!!!!!

SonicsDC25

Yeah I did run very hot water through it, but the white patches were still visible, so I may just buy new tubing from Home Depot, but would love any advice to prevent this from reoccurring :)

SonicsDC25

Problem with putting it in vacuum mode as you wind it up, there are still water droplets that are left behind sticking to the sides of the tubing, so there is still condensation and eventually cause mold if not dried, which is the problem :p

Madness

Staff member
I never rinse mine out, I just drain the water and wait till next time. I have an algae that grows in all of them

anthony

well to get all moisture out you would have to blow hot air with a hair dryer or heat gun or pull a thin strip of sheet through with some long length of stiff wire . I think the only way to get moisture out of a tube that long would be to manually get it out. This is the second python I have had both have turned "blackish" . I think replacing the tube is not necessary because I have never had any negative results from using the black tubing. If some one has better ideas for drying the tube I hope they chime in . I never thought mold or algae I just roll with it like Madness. Good luck!!!!!

bassetman

Mine has had mildew/mold spots for years. Never caused an issue . I have cleaned it out but the spots come back quickly in the same areas.

My Python is still clear *knock on wood* but I have seen that black brownish stuff in hoses before. I think you shouldn't have to worry about it.

I also make sure that most of the water is drained out before I cool mine up like Anthony mentioned, only I just disconnect the hose from the sink and let gravity do all the work as I coil up my hose. It doesn't get all the water out, but it does make storing it a lot easier.

I think storing the hose in a dark place should also prevent the hose from discoloring. At least in theory. :p

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I know someone who had the algae problem too. Mine luckily so far has been fine. I made mine out of vinyl tubing so maybe there is a difference somehow with it that stops it from creating the mold/algae. I do like Poke does and reverse it. It gets alot of the water out. Where I store mine I prefer to have the least amount of water left behind as possible so it doesn't release moisture and damage the wood around where it is stored. So far no problems.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
To kill any issues if you're worried about it. A few ways to kill it off. Make a 5 gallon bucket of saltwater with as much salt as you can get to dissolve into it using hot water. Just use rock salt to do this. Then siphon the 5 gallons into the hose and let it sit there for a few minutes Then run the hose pushing water out into the sink for a couple minutes.

Or do the same with a gallon of vinegar.

plaamoo

Aquarium Co-Op said:
To kill any issues if you're worried about it. A few ways to kill it off. Make a 5 gallon bucket of saltwater with as much salt as you can get to dissolve into it using hot water. Just use rock salt to do this. Then siphon the 5 gallons into the hose and let it sit there for a few minutes Then run the hose pushing water out into the sink for a couple minutes.

Or do the same with a gallon of vinegar.

Or bleach

SonicsDC25

I may try the salt water method, thanks. And also it's more of a mold than algae, if it's algae I wouldn't care; however this mold looks exactly like the one you see on rotten bread O_O

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
My tubing is super algae/ moldy inside. I may have to clean it now. Haha I just went with the old saying "a little floor spice makes everything nice".

SonicsDC25

Maybe I should, at Costco it's only $2 for 2 bottles of them so it would be worth a shot for cleaning once or twice a month?

SonicsDC25

Well, I put one container (1 QT) of Hydrogen Peroxide into the tubing and let it sit for half an hour, swished it around (well just whipping it side to side lol), but those white spots just aren't budging. Wish I had that brown/black mold everyone talks about rather than this weird looking white... O_O

anthony

This is what you do..... Get a razor blade and cut the tubing from end to end !!! then get a paper towel and hand dry the tubing .... Then crazy glue it together again... Problem solved!!!! I'm just kidding but my point is ....Throw the tubing in the closet like the rest of us and let it turn black!!! We all like our fish yours will be ok!!!!! I'll bet your fish on it lol