Mixing Substrates

aeroman9000

Has anyone mixed Substrates before? Meaning take Flora max or Eco complete and mix it with a gravel (I buy my Black Gravel at Aquarium Co op) Its not the cost of going straight Flora Max that concerns me but more of a look issue, I prefer the look of the gravel. I am getting ready to start my 55 gallon planted tank with co2..... Any thoughts on this?

aeroman9000

Another question I have. I have been using this Black Gravel from Aquarium Co-Op its a fairly fine grain not sand but like a coarse cornmeal size. I have had amazing luck with this as a planted tank substrate, so I wonder in an established tank is it really necessary? Maybe its a stupid question but I have never used anything else.....

Buy substrate for it's look and it's particulate size / weight. It's ability to grow plants is not important if you're fertilizing the tank.

A

Anonymous

I've always noticed enhanced growth using specialized substrates over aquarium gravels and inert substrates. An example: Your building up the motor in your car. You 1st change the intake (lighting). You have better performance but you could get more ponies if you modify the exhaust (substrate). And you do that. Then you notice you can get more if you tweak the cars computer (fertilizers) . BAM another 20 HP. And on and on.

So, yes normal gravel, good light, CO2 and some fertilizers and your good to go. But in my opinion if your going all out you might as well open that sucker up and modify the 'exhaust' while you're in there modifing everything else.

Here is a snap shot of one of my tanks. The substrate is a mix of flourite gravel, sand, Eco complete, and minimal amount of black gravel. This tank is rather large and all the substrate adds up to about 200 pounds if not more. This set up is now over 6 years old so please don't mind the other specks of whatever else is in the substrate, LOL!

Lamental Jester

If you want that dark gravel look, turface might be a good substitute for gravel, plants tend to like it, and I think they are similar to safe-t-sorb. Here's a pic of it in my 75 gallon tank, capped over soil:

feb19c_zpsaf829237.jpg~original