Might get a Lily bloom. Conflicted.

John58Ford

I had trimmed 5 of my tanks (3 are the same water system so they get first dibs) and finally got to my jungle 29. I had noticed the center lily that doesn't usually produce much low canopy choking out a previously 15" tall sword and planned to un tangle the roots and do some serious work but I noticed this:
View attachment 1074720211204_115005~2.jpg

I've never had an indoor water lily bloom. The idea of this honestly froze me in place and I'm still, 2 days later, having a hard time deciding what to do. The tank isn't set up for this at all with only 6.5" of space above it and typically filled to the rim. I'm not sure how far above the water line this might flower as I've never pinned the exact genus and species. A few years ago I got a tangled root ball out of a friends trash can while he was packing up to move, his wife didn't know what she had bought years previous but I've root spliced it into 4 plants now.

Further complicating things, this is the only tank on the rack using a set on top light array vs my custom in hood/rack LED set ups. The reptile enclosure above it needed extra space under for insulation and heat pads so I don't have clearance.

Here's the boom, my mother, master gardener type, is visiting for Christmas. My little water gardens always look pretty good but a water lily for Christmas would be pretty crazy.

I haven't found anything useful on my international forum about this and have basically read it's "very difficult" to do. I think I can figure it out though.

My thoughts:
1. Don't interrupt substrate or roots of any plants.
2. Don't make any changes to accidentally increase or redirect flow.
3. Trim nothing off of this cluster including pads. The pads provide better CO2 and gas exchange to the plant.
4. Trim all Arial pads from cluster 2 to expose more surface area for cluster 1.
5. Ludwigia explosion.... I have no idea what to do with all the ludwigia in here. It's blocking a ton of light, but it directly affects flow.
6. Find a friend with a 3-5" diamond hole saw to make an extra panel for the center of my sliding top. I can bring a panel pre cut, and some beers if any of you have a hole saw like that. Alternately I'll make a holy hand grenade dual direction slider.
7. Poly mirror cut to fit under upper tanks insulation to allow for reflective lighting if necessary.

Complications:
1.I need to net and cull some of my black bars, I can't usually do this without a massive trim. Fish trap maybe?
2. How much flow will be boosted with trimming of "ugly" lower canopy. I can only see about 5 square inches of substrate currently and some of that is definitely going to need to come out.

If I don't give in to my endler breeding roots and whack all the plants so I can catch, cull and sell some of these males, I'll post progress pictures here.

Input on the process is welcome and encouraged, have any of you had a Lily like this bloom? I'm not even sure how "dwarf" they are, most of the pads get up to 9"+ diameter. I don't know if I'll get a floating flower, or one reaching high above the tank. Can I influence this somehow?

John58Ford

Decided to go for it. Played "don't cut the blue wire: underwater aquarium edition".
20211204_133537_HDR~2.jpg
20211204_133935.jpg
Didn't remove nearly as much mass as usual.
20211204_143925.jpg
Left all these, they are all from the center plant:
20211204_142730_HDR~2.jpg
Ended up with this:
20211204_144039~4.jpg
Good luck little flower.
20211204_142853~2.jpg

Attachments

• 20211204_133425~2.jpg
    20211204_133425~2.jpg
    394.6 KB · Views: 3

John58Ford

I was very wrong in the timeline. But at least I get to clean my tank before Christmas lol.

It just breeched the surface; yes the last update it still had 3-4 inches to go, only 6 hours ago ..
20211209_185513~2.jpg
20211209_185503_HDR~2.jpg

John58Ford

The top of this tank sure looks ugly with another light shining down on it from above. I loosely clipped a rubber band to lean it gently towards the front of the tank in case it goes vertical when I go back to work. The growth seems to have slowed a bit as it's lifting more weight out of the water. I'm hoping this means it will be a floating bloom like we see at the local lakes and not one that's elevated above the surface like I have seen in the few aquarium threads I have found.
20211210_105959_HDR~2.jpg

John58Ford

It's definitely slowed down. I lifted the light bar about 5 inches and have a lamp moved over to keep it lit right, still have the rubber band sitting there just in case. Here it is after work tonight. Maybe a bloom tomorrow?20211210_182325_HDR~2.jpg

John58Ford

It's definitely slowed down. No bloom yet, and sadly going vertical. I was really hoping for a floating bloom but we will figure it out, since it's weekend I am going to play with the second lights timing a bit to get a straight stem, it really s-curved to the front of the tank yesterday.
20211211_095038_HDR~2.jpg

John58Ford

Well after an exciting few days last week with growth rates I couldn't believe, we now have a lazy stem leaning against the edge of my tank holding up a flower bud that remains locked up like Ft. Knox. It literally hasn't done anything outwardly visible since Sunday night.

20211215_102210_HDR~2.jpg

John58Ford

Lights out time last night:
20211217_202218_HDR.jpg

Lights on this morning:
20211218_085907_HDR~2.jpg

I'm trying to dream up a way to light this whole thing for a whole tank shot this afternoon but the color temperatures of the lamp and the tank are significantly different, making true colors in post very hard... Usually I side by side match the blacks in the tank, reds on the plants and the blue on the stand to get my saturation close before cropping the stand out. The stand looks multicolor in processing with this lighting arrangement. On the a related topic, the pink of this bloom is way more vivid than I've seen on a lake I'm not sure how to do it justice.