Members'fish pics

Madness

Staff member
Latest grab, 10.5" wild Columbian Festae female in QT20221122_211118.jpg20221122_211035.jpg

Apparently according to Phil who lives up in Canada ish, she is mean as hell and wiped out his 300 gallon tank of all of his Ornatum and Midas. Makes me a little bit leery about sticking her with my big boys.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
According to Pet Works these are Apisto cacatuoides super red but they look like a few different types. Will see what they grow out like.
Hmmm... Could be. A. cacatuoides and A. macmasteri look pretty similar when young, and there are so many 'line-bred' varieties of these that it's sometimes hard to tell. That said, I would have expected more finnage on a male A. cacatuoides at this point. Were these purported to be a pair?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmm... Could be. A. cacatuoides and A. macmasteri look pretty similar when young, and there are so many 'line-bred' varieties of these that it's sometimes hard to tell. That said, I would have expected more finnage on a male A. cacatuoides at this point. Were these purported to be a pair?
No not a pair. Just the last two left at the time

sir_keith

Legendary Member
No not a pair. Just the last two left at the time
Ah, then my guess would be two females. Wild-type A. cacatuoides females don't show much color in the fins, but the 'Super Red' line does. You should keep an eye out for a male! Male and female shown here-

Super_Red_Pair_700.jpg
When the 'Super Red' line of A. cacatuoides first started to appear in the hobby, the vast majority of fishes available were males, presumably because breeders were attempting to minimize competition from hobbyists by making female breeders difficult to acquire. This wasn't difficult to do, as the sex ratio of A. cacatuoides broods, like many Apistogramma, is strongly dependent on pH and temperature. Temperatures below ~78°F result in a preponderance of females; above that, a preponderance of males. My guess is that this situation no longer holds, but in any event, it shouldn't be difficult to find a male. You could also get an 'attempted pair' from the Wet Spot; one male with three females in a 46 would be a nice combination.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Wet Works had got in a batch that were from a private breeder but they were super small. I might go back and see if they have grown any and if there is a male. The two I have are not chasing or having issues so even if they are two female, I may just let them be.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Man, all this talk of Apisto's really brings me back in time- college days when small apartments meant small tanks. I loved keeping all those little jewels, but one of my all-time favourites was A. borellii, a beautiful species that gets larger (~2.5") than many Apistogramma.

apistogramma_borellii_opal_01.jpg

John58Ford

A fun set, trying to photograph one of my BNP.
Got a decent one but the color was a little too far off. (My grow light/twilight circuit was down for a week or two last month so everything was being shot with narrow spectrum lighting)
PXL_20221204_000843318~2.jpg
Then the Endlers started making it fun photo bombing and hosting a fishy dance party in the corner.
PXL_20221203_233439010~2.jpg