Meet Mr. Murphy

5ft24

I really need to find a way to keep the tank cleaner... Running the big Marineland 360 canister filter. double foam in the bottom, 3 1/2 media bags of a Zeolite/Carbon mix, then the bio balls, ceramic "things", a nitrate absorbing pad and the polishing pad on top. Within a week the tank is cloudy and cruddy again. Doing 75% water changes weekly and actually cleaning the filter weekly as well. keep feeding to a minimum...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
You really need that tank upgrade! What else is in there with him? You could reduce stock numbers....

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Looks awesome ! I had one as a child and the same thing happened to me... he outgrew my tank and I had to give him back to brigadoon fish store on meridian in puyallup.... of course this was probably back in 90-91

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I really need to find a way to keep the tank cleaner... Running the big Marineland 360 canister filter. double foam in the bottom, 3 1/2 media bags of a Zeolite/Carbon mix, then the bio balls, ceramic "things", a nitrate absorbing pad and the polishing pad on top. Within a week the tank is cloudy and cruddy again. Doing 75% water changes weekly and actually cleaning the filter weekly as well. keep feeding to a minimum...

could you add an aqua clear 110 to the back until you can find him a larger tank?
Guessing you’ll will probably be looking in the 180g + range

I’ve got a buddy in the hobby in Tacoma that may be thinking about leaving it and selling his tanks, I’ll let you know and get you in touch with him

5ft24

I definitely know they have outgrown the tank. He was only about 6" when I got him along with 2 albino tiger Oscars and 2 regular tiger Oscars that were maybe twice the size of a silver dollar. And a sailfin pleco that was 3-4" long... He's almost a foot long now as well! From what I read about the Swai, they get up to 4 1/2 feet long in the wild... I really need to find him a better home. Can't afford to upgrade to a 1000 gallon tank LOL

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Yours may be the largest I’ve seen.... in fact the largest I think I’ve ever seen ( prior to yours) was a 9-10” one that was at a local restaurant in downtown puyallup

5ft24

Yours may be the largest I’ve seen.... in fact the largest I think I’ve ever seen ( prior to yours) was a 9-10” one that was at a local restaurant in downtown puyallup

Had a clown knife for almost 15 years. Finally died, but at the time was over 2ft long in a 225 gallon tank. I'll have to dig and find the pictures of "Dot"

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Had a clown knife for almost 15 years. Finally died, but at the time was over 2ft long in a 225 gallon tank. I'll have to dig and find the pictures of "Dot"
I also love massive clown knifes!

about 2 years ago I picked up a reticulated knife fish that was 21” long... unfortunately I didn’t keep him more than 6 months as he hid all the time and then destroyed all his tankmates at night. He was sweet, but my favorite have always been the clowns and the royal clownsBFA236D9-BF5A-4C4D-AE76-E8A96C97F40A.png

FishBeast

This is Mr. Murphy. A friend of mine bought him about 2" long from Petsmart a year ago.
He's an irridescent shark (Pangasianodon hypophthalmus) or "Swai". He is now 14" long. He's in a 75gallon tank, but I need to upgrade VERY soon as money allows.

View attachment 7359 View attachment 7360
Cool catfish! A buddy of mine has a farm in the Philippines where he raises these. They get to 4 feet and 80 lbs! Get a PVC pool for a sweet indoor pond and you will have one of the few Iridescent sharks in the US that are provided adequate living space! Welcome to the FishBox!