Matten Filters.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
Anyone here have experience with Matten filters? They're basically sponge filters with a large surface area, and are very popular in shrimp tanks. I'm wondering whether they might also be useful in grow-out tanks. I generally use vastly over-sized Hydor sponge filters for my grow-outs, but was wondering whether the Mattens might also be a good choice.

Seattle_Aquarist

Anyone here have experience with Matten filters? They're basically sponge filters with a large surface area, and are very popular in shrimp tanks. I'm wondering whether they might also be useful in grow-out tanks. I generally use vastly over-sized Hydor sponge filters for my grow-outs, but was wondering whether the Mattens might also be a good choice.

Hi @sir_keith

I 'fish sit' for one of the Master Breeders of GSAS. He uses Matten filters in all of his 'grow -out' tanks for fry. Typically by the time the fry have outgrown the tank and need to be split-up or moved to a larger tank the filter is in need of cleaning so everything gets cleaned at once. As @Madness said 'Swiss Tropicals' is the only source I know of for the Poret foam that seems to work the best for Matten filters.
-Roy

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
Interesting. After looking into this, the Matten filters just seem to be sponge filters with a large surface area and a particularly effective foam. What goes around comes around; remember when under-gravel filters were all the rage for biological filtration? I still have a whole stack of them, 12" x 24", that I haven't used in years.

Madness

Staff member
Interesting. After looking into this, the Matten filters just seem to be sponge filters with a large surface area and a particularly effective foam. What goes around comes around; remember when under-gravel filters were all the rage for biological filtration? I still have a whole stack of them, 12" x 24", that I haven't used in years.

That is exactly what it is, if the forum would allow me to post an mp4 video from my phone I could show you how they are working. Then again, that is why I posted a link to my instagram above, so that my video can be seen. All of my breeder tanks I use to use sponge filters only, this is just a larger more glorified version of a sponge filter.

FishBeast

I use mattenfiltration in several tanks! Low maintenance and huge bio capacity. I keep them in sumps so they are out of sigh since they can be ugly-ish

Jeffro

I tried a corner matten from swiss tropicals for the first time and they seem awesome! I'm a big fan of sponge filters with water pumps agitating the surface rather than air stones. They are quiet and I don't end up with as much water splashing up on the cover, so it doesn't grow algae as much.

I did have to add a strip of black plastic along the bottom to prevent any ADA soil from getting into the sponge, but it was an easy mod. They give you two glass pieces and measurements to attach with silicone. Very cool filters.