Marbled Gar at Bridges Pet.

A

Anonymous

Profile reads 2 foot in captivity. This guy pictured was about 5 maybe 6 inches long.

A

Anonymous

Further reading shows Boulengerella maculata is not a true Gar.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
And the needle nosed ones I see all the time at local fish stores..... Those cant be illegal either, right?

hbluehunter

All the true gars are illegal here in WA.. I owned several over the years and bought them all at LFS before i found out they were illegal to own here. But still see them pop up from time to time.. Funny the last time i looked Gator Gars were still available to buy on the list, and those are the worst..lol

keman

Most of what LFS call gars are only called that as a "common name" and are not true Gars. My two little needle nose gars are not true gars, but are also called needle fish, stick fish and a few other names. In my tank the guppies and white clouds call them the Oh my god I'm gonna die when they eat me fish.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
ShortyKiloGyrl said:
I can only find two gars, the longnose and alligator gar, on the prohibited list.

I cant remember where it was published but it was more generic and said all fish from the Lepisosteus family which include Lepisosteus oculatus (Spotted gar), Lepisosteus osseus (Longnose gar), Lepisosteus platostomus (Shortnose gar), Lepisosteus platyrhincus (Florida gar).

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
That is one that I look at too, but I know somewhere there is a much more detailed one. It is in written form only with no pictures.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I think what I am thinking about was something that we had posted on the old site regarding illegal fish. Not sure if any of that info is now on this new site.