Making water

aaronfeeney

Got an RO unit set up and running , approx 100g per day, so I might get 50 or so gallons overnight. Then start mixing salt and filling the tank. I know these posts seem basic and silly, BUT I AM STOKED, for my jump into salt water, been wanting to do this since I was 12. :face:

icer711

go get a sprinkler timer so it was auto turn and off so you dont get busy and have a huge puddle but good luck let us know and plenty o pictures

aaronfeeney

well crap , over night I only got about 3 gallons, hmmm. made some adjustments, seems to be flowing better this morning.

aaronfeeney

No, to all those goodies,(used system)I may be low on pressure , but I am running the back pressure valve at max and still getting little water. Normal house pressure is between 90 and 120 psi, but it could be low here. I am running the tap into the pre filters, straight to thr ro and out no DI canister yet, if this worked I have found some reasonably priced DI add on canisters. Still not getting more than about 5 gallons. I set this up outside , in case of leaks, I may need to check out my garbage can a litle better, its possible a new can could have a leak that outpaces the drip from the RO. I wouldn'rt see evidence of leakage around the can due to rain last night and today. What a pain in the ass.

lilfishie

Contact these guys. They will help you out with your set up. They are very reasonalby priced. If you wouldn't mind taking a ride, you could come up and see how mine is put together. See if it helps. I might have some pics. I see if I do and post them. The auto shut off and float valve will stop the production of water when the container is full. Otherwise it will overflow your container and run continuously and waist water and cost you money.

lilfishie

Okay,
So this is all set up in my laundry room. I have a 35 gal brute for mixing and holding saltwater. I am using two 14 gal trash cans that I connected together at the bottom for storing the fresh water. My RODI system is hooked up to the cold water line for the washing machine. I hooked up a Y fitting to the water coming into the house and hooked up the washing mashing to one side and the water hose adapter (in the fittings section at the filter guys web site) to the other side. There are two lines coming out. One is the good fresh water, the other is waiste water. The waist water line is running down the discharge line for the washing machine. The good water line is running into the back white trash can by a float switch. When the float switch raises with the water level, it turns off the flow of water from the rodi system. It causes pressure to back up and the auto shut off valve closes and stops the water coming in. When I take water out of the container, the float switch drops and opens the water line releasing the pressure on the auto shut off and the water starts running again. This way you dont have to remember to turn it on and off manually. I can still do that too.
I have a pump and hose in the front white container with the fresh water in it so I can pump the water to the 35 gal brute. There is a pump w/hose and a heater in the brute contianer so I can pump the saltwater out into buckets. You want your saltwater to be the same temp as your tank so there is no shock to livestock when doing water changes.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3-1.jpg

lilfishie

icer711 said:
Very crude but effective lol.....good job
Yeah, I would like to have more space. Id love to be able to hold 50 gals of each at all times. I would love to set it up with fully automated water changes. No more lifting buckets.
It actually works great. I can make 35 gals of saltwater. Have another 23 gals of fresh water available to make saltwater and have another 23 gals fresh water made with in 8 hours. Both fresh water and saltwater containers are full and ready for use at all times.
With the number of saltwater tanks and freshwater tanks I have, I need water on a daily basis.

aaronfeeney

Well this RO unit is not flowing properly, the price of a set of replacement filters and DI canisters is more , or the same as a whole new unit, for now I am going to take my buddy up on the offer ,to borrow his RO/DI unit for this first batch.

aaronfeeney

lilfishie said:
Contact these guys. They will help you out with your set up. They are very reasonalby priced. If you wouldn't mind taking a ride, you could come up and see how mine is put together. See if it helps. I might have some pics. I see if I do and post them. The auto shut off and float valve will stop the production of water when the container is full. Otherwise it will overflow your container and run continuously and waist water and cost you money.
Contact Who?

lilfishie

aaronfeeney said:
lilfishie said:
Contact Who?
HAHAHA sorry, I could a swore I put this link in there.
http://www.thefilterguys.biz/index.htm