Mag 350 gurgle

ledieudufromage

It pumps fine...well less than fine and still makes noise, but at least pumps...without any media in, but even with the polishing filter it stops entirely. It makes a gurgle more than a crackle or crunch. I have another mag350 next to it that is silent and pumps like a horse in Enumclaw, so I have a good reference showing that something is wrong.

I emailed Marineland, and here is their reply:

Hello,
The filter should be very quiet. You might want to try a few more times cleaning down where the impeller sits in the canister. The tendency is for carbon to escape and settle down in the well and make a grinding sound and it can sound very loud. Also when you have it apart be sure to check the little tube on the side of the exhaust tube. You may need to get fishing line or a pipe cleaner to clear it out. That usually makes a gurgling sound more than a grinding sound but you should check it. If all else fails you can send it to us at the address below and we will replace it.
Best regards,
Marineland
3001 Commerce St.
Blacksburg, VA 24060
Anyone know what the "little tube on the side of the exhaust tube" is?

I'm thinking of sending it in.

Addictedtofish

I would check the magnet on the impeller shaft and see if its worn. I got mine used and have been replacing some parts and mine makes noise also but pumps fine. My magnet is pretty warn so im going to buy a new magnet for it with a couple more parts here soon.

ledieudufromage

Addictedtofish said:
I would check the magnet on the impeller shaft and see if its worn. I got mine used and have been replacing some parts and mine makes noise also but pumps fine. My magnet is pretty warn so im going to buy a new magnet for it with a couple more parts here soon.
Mine is a few months old. The magnet is not perfectly smooth, but looks new otherwise.