Looking for opinions

Fyurae

I have an aquatech (the walmart brand) and it doesnt bother me at all, as long as the tank is full enough to keep it from splashing. The issue I have is the air pump, which I have to turn off at night.

Kaosu

i have a cascade 300 and a whisper..something..rated for a 50 gallon on a 40 gallon tank im my bedroom..as well as 2 other larger filters..i would say the cascade is the quietest

Madness

Staff member
I have the perfect solution. Don't use a HOB. Use an in the tank filter. Like the Cascade 600 internal filter rated for 50. I use one of these on my 40 gal in my room, and it works perfect. I bought 6 of them on line from Pet Mountain. I believe they were $18 ea, the LFS sell them for $30+.

Spyral

Any aquaclear, just make sure the water level is high enough that it doesn't "cascade."

heh heh...get it? DON'T LET YOUR AQUACLEAR CASCADE! AHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

Aquarium humor is so awesome.

Fyurae

I've found internals to be noisier. It may be because my internals are only 10g, but I find that the motor rests against the glass and vibrates, and basically turns the whole tank into a megaphone.

censeoflife

I have to ac110 I got used from the forum and they are as quite as can be. With the water level up I have to touch the thing to see if it quit running on me.

Madness

Staff member
Im telling you. Internal!!!!!! NO NOISE.. It wont vibrate against the bottom of a 30 gal. If the water level drops a bit, it wont splash or drip and make noises.

I'm totally happy with the low noise and hi volume of my multiple AquaClear 150's on my 10g tanks. All of them I have were used before i got them.

aaronfeeney

I bought an Aqueon, quiet, somethingorother,yesterday before the intank suggestion came through, paid a helluva lot more than $18 too,,, not real quiet when the house is silent at night.

Gosu

use a piece of plexiglass, cut it to slightly bigger than the pouring areas on your hob filter, attach them in such a way the water hits them and rides them down into the water - the water from the filter is effectively injected into the tank rather than bluntly forced through the surface creating a quieting affect(effect?).. it also still adds oxygen though id guess far less - assuming the tank is already oxygenated i cant imagine the difference will be noticeable by the fish since theres a finite amount of oxygen that can be in a certain amount of water, also HI! how goes it! hows the family, fish, dog etc etc!

Gosu

if its a really quick sort of rattling sound the axil is either sharpened on one end or the entire thing is offset causing the blades to touch the walls if that is your issue youre just sol with that one lol, would haveta replace the part and odds are the exact same thing would happen for whatever random reason cause it the first time, only recomendation woul be making a small styophoam box that will fit snuggly around the bottom half of the hob, would quiet it as much as i can from here haha

naturalart

That would be my vote: get a cannister. Rena xp2, Ehiem, Fluval. Any one will fit nicely in your cabinet underneath……thats if you have a cabinet.