Looking for ideas, cheap carbon filtration

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
So my puffer tank will get stinky on occasion due to his diet of raw seafood. I do regular water changes and have a great maintenance schedule but feel I need to add some carbon to help with the occasional burst of smell. The one choice would be to just add a bag of carbon to the AC110 filter or I was thinking of adding a second filter like a Penguin 200 and then use one of the refillable media cartridges full of carbon inside. Really leaning toward the second filter but would like to hear if any other things could work.... Would like to keep it under $50 and have it be an easy to fill, change out the carbon.

Anthraxx

just get one of the reuseable nylon bags (ive got a few left over if itll help) and then buy the bulk carbon media from an online source (usually cheaper) its what i did back in the day when the disposable cartridges became too expensive. just make sure to rinse the carbon really well, it has quite a bit of dust that you wont want in your tank. hope this helps GL with the smell.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Thanks, Ive got tons of the bags laying around. Was looking for an excuse to buy more gear. :D

I like the thought of a second filter but I know the AC110 is more than enough for a 40B.